Dcs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi dive_lover88,

Since neither the dive schedule nor dive profiles are described, it is not possible for this forum to estimate nitrogen loading and assess for violations of NDLs, proper ascent rate and similar factors. This makes speculation about DCS even more difficult than it usually is.

While elbows are prime locations for DCS, coming after shoulders, minor non-DCS related aches in joints are not uncommon following a SCUBA trip. These often are secondary to carrying heavy luggage; moving, donning and doffing dive gear; extended periods in uncomfortable positions during air and road travel; and similar mechanical trauma. The presence of a post-diving flu-like illness with general body aching also provides a ready alternative explanation.

Even if the "weird feeling' in the elbow is DCS-related, considering that it is the sole symptom, and the last dive was completed at least several days ago, it would not be a likely candidate for recompression treatment. Whether it is the result of strain, DCS or a flu-like illness, the expectation is that it will resolve on its own given rest and no additional provocation. If it does not, it would be prudent to consult with a physician.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hey Doc,

I did 7 dives over the weekend. Max dive was to 25.5m while the rest was in the average range of 15m.

I was on rescue course, and we did an additional 2 dives(supposed to only do 5day dives). Both dives were to 12-13m. But what worried me was that during the missing diver search, i got abit excited and sort of held my breath and rose to about while reeling in my reel, while my coursemate brought the 'victim' up to the surface. That incident was what stood out in my memory. We were below for 7mins.

From my com, my profile during that particular dive, at 6min, i was 12.9m and then i heldmy breath and floated up to 8m with the computer beeping.

Is this any cause for worry?

Hi dive_lover88,

While the dive schedule described does appear somewhat provocative, given no violations of NDLs or missed deco obligations, conservative ascents (mostly ; )), and adequate safety stops and surface intervals, the likelihood of DCS still seems quite low. Of course the event of breath holding described would put the diver at risk for pulmonary barotrauma/arterial gas embolism (AGE), not DCS, and no signs/symptom of that condition are reported.

Again, given that an odd sensation in the elbow is the sole symptom, and the last dive was completed at least several days ago, it would not be a likely candidate for recompression treatment.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Call DAN (number at top of screen) and run it by them and you'll feel better.

Hey Darren,

Give it a couple of days and in the meantime rest the joint as much as possible. If there's no reason not to take NSAIDs, used as directed an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen may provide some relief.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

"Hi Doc,

I have pretty much healed up, though it took 2 wks to recover.

Elbow is okay, seems like it was case of the flu bug.

Thanks Doc for the follow up

Darren"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom