Dead Strobe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here. They must have had a bad batch. Taking mine out tomorrow for some quarry diving. Will let you know how it works.

Well it was 95* air temp and 59* @ 45'. That's a recipe for fog if I ever saw one. Did 2 dives. Took 100 pics, no fog and both strobes were GREAT! Here are some samples...

PICT0218.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0269.jpg

PICT0301.jpg

I have not had a chance to edit any of these. Only problem I am having is the "white out" that is occurring. Pre-flash and brightness settings are at 0 and 1, respectively, and outside knob set to A. Hopefully, I can edit out some of the glare.

Turn off "Automatic" and take them down to about 30%

Work with that for a bit on the closer shots. Look at the distance between the camera and your shot... try and set one strobe at, or just before your shot and the other just beyond...

You'll be surprised at what you can get

sailfinblenny0906194.jpg

nudibranch0906184.jpg

octo0906193.jpg

When you say 30%, do you mean down to the #3 on dial?

When you say 30%, do you mean down to the #3 on dial?
Yes... It is a "touch and go", "feel-it" type of thing...

What is the vis? Do I need to increase the light for my strobes? How far am I away from my subject? Do I need to adjust for water particulate? Is the sun shining now, when it wasn't a minute ago when I took the last shot?

You are "IN CHARGE" of your own pictures and must be able to think about "EVERY SINGLE SHOT" you make. If the shot doesn't come out... do what everyone else does... take 30 shots until you get the one you want "adjusting everything for every different shot"

====

There are some shots I get "spot-on" for a drift dive on the first shot... It happens maybe every 1000 shots. All others need to be adjusted, or retaken, over and over again.
----

Edit: I took more than 900 shots this past weekend. I am happy that 20 or so turned out (I'm happier when there might be an award winner, but I will take what I can get)

Thanks. Still pretty new to all this camera stuff. Better keep reading the manual. In your opinion, do you think the PADI Digital UW Photo specialty (or even just reading the book) would be worthwhile or is that too generic.

Thanks. Still pretty new to all this camera stuff. Better keep reading the manual. In your opinion, do you think the PADI Digital UW Photo specialty (or even just reading the book) would be worthwhile or is that too generic.
Honestly, I have no idea about the "PADI Digital UW Photo" specialty. I didn't know they had one (But, I should have known they did.... lol)

Look... Here is my point...

You need to shoot pictures... You need to shoot a lot of pictures to learn your camera. Once you learn your camera, you will learn more about your camera... More than you ever wanted to know to shoot underwater pictures.
---

If you look at my pictures (please don't.... I have exceeded SB's picture limit for about six months. I now have to delete pics from 2008 in order to post pics from 2009...), you will notice that most of my recent pictures (2 years later) are better than my originals. In the past week (after shooting with one strobe, and changing to a two strobe setup), you will notice an even bigger difference. I reached the limit of my single strobe setup and changed everything to a two strobe setup.

The pictures I posted here were pictures from my two-strobe setup test. (Remember, I have been shooting with a single strobe and the same camera for more than two years). It is imparative that you continue to take pictures and change settings in order to identify when to change settings for the picture you want to take...

Nothing is better than testing and experience when taking pictures underwater. It will help you develope the "eye" and everyone will "worship" you... (OK, that was a bit far, but you know what I mean)

UPDATE:

I dove with my new strobe (they replaced the head of my defective one) and I notice there is a big difference in the way the switch works between my new one and the other "old" one (bought in January).

The new one has distinct "clicks" at the off, on and test settings, where the old one just has a mushy feel to them and absolutely no click stops at all. I am guessing that something has changed in the manufacturing, or that something wasn't right on the batch I got. I am hoping that if the other one fails it does so in my warranty period. The newer one feels much more solid.

On the bright side, once I figure out how to get this rig to really work, I think it is going to let me take some really good pictures... that's MY learning curve, as long as the equipment is physically functioning all bad pictures are on ME, not it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom