Dealing with long hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive everyday and as an instructor my hair is dry...blond now...and cut up. The new trick I have which seems to work perfectly is to put olive oil (or a mix of coconut oil and conditioner) before diving. I put it in a side braid (I have really long hair) and it makes it easy not only to dive, but to do skills with the students and when I am done to be able to wash....Best thing I have found!

I tried the Buff and it's great. I just leave it down, no hair pulling or horrible tangles. I was even pointed out to an OW class by the male instructor, as a scuba model, he was talking to the students about being comfortable and personalizing your gear.

A gal on my last boat dive had a "Bang Wrangler" and swore by it. I will definitely be purchasing one to try, especially after reading other great reviews here. I don't have bangs, but my hair often resembles Merida from Brave aka totally bleeping wild haha. I need any help I can get!

I keep coconut oil and then do a side braid. Does wonders post dive and also protects hair while diving.

I think this thread is going to save me some pain!! I have long, thick hair. I can't braid to save my life. I've used a neoprene mask strap which is a must given I also have a sensitive scalp. typical mask straps pull my hair like some sore of medieval torture. I just ordered the Bang Wrangler because of this discussion. I also love that we're helping other women entrepreneurs!

This thread is a perfect example of why I love Scubaboard!

I also have very long thick hair and I swear by olive oil. I suppose any oil or oil-based hair product would work but I just buy some olive oil from the local grocery store wherever I'm diving - it's cheap and natural without adding chemicals to the ocean. I comb the olive oil it into my hair and french braid before a dive. A mask strap cover is a MUST to prevent hair from tangling in the mask strap. My last dive guide used an under armour sports headband which she said she loved and it had the added benefit of being super bright so it was easy to spot her underwater. I might give one a try for my next dive trip...

I was going to post asking how girls (and long haired guys) deal with their hair - figure I'll add on to this instead! I've got a layered bob-type haircut so I can't pull it into a ponytail. Lately I've been using a hood (in fact, this little number that certainly gets me a lot of attention on dives! http://www.scubadiving.com.au/aropec-nemo-3mm-hood) But stray hairs still get out, and even worse, I can't hear my computer alarm when wearing it.

I had thought about a buff but haven't had a chance to try it out yet - normally I'm packing it for winter holidays not diving holidays! But the bangwrangler looks perfect - just have to find something similar in Australia.

I use a spandex beanie that I got from the local Harley Davidson shop. I wet my hair, put conditioner on it and slick it back and then put the beanie on from front to back, making sure I've gathered up all the stray hairs. It works great. If you don't have a local shop maybe you could order one online? Or perhaps a local motorcycle shop has something with the HD on it (therefore a third of the price!). :D

Attachments

• 549526_4415940085476_191297684_n.jpg
    549526_4415940085476_191297684_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 112
I would think that HairBandz would ship.

I was wrestling with this issue too when planning a week long dive trip. I'm a new diver, and although I already used the neoprene mask strap the hair past that strap (at temples) was still getting ripped and the length of my hair was a rats nest using a braided ponytail. I have long curly hair. This trip I did the following:

- wet hair and put leave in conditioner/morrocan oil combo on it. took spray bottle of same in dive bag on boat for post dive spritz.
- used neoprene mask strap
- used thin, wide bungee corded "swimband" headband (protected hairline all around from mask strap and kept skirt clear of stray hair)
- put hair in a very chic Pebbles Flintstone top of head pony tail :p
- banded length of ponytail with every inch or so with no pull fabric covered elastics. It winds up looking segmented.
- wound the banded length around the elastic closest to my head (first one put in/top of pony) and secured with a scrunchie. Yes, a scrunchie lol, but it NEVER got tangled and kept hair where I put it. Winds up being a bumpy bun on top of head.
- When it was time to take hair down slathered conditioner, removed elastics carefully, rinsed, and used "Tangle Teezer" to brush through. I thought the tangle teezer brush was a gimmick, but it was fantastic, way better than wide tooth comb I used to use.

My hair and color survived a week of diving at AKR quite nicely. I also used hair sunscreen spray when not diving. I used Phytoplage Protective Sun Veil, but I also like the cheaper Proganix Anti-Fade Weightless Argan Oil + UV Protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom