death near Marshfield?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know anything about this?

Man dies while scuba diving near Marshfield - BostonHerald.com

Man dies while scuba diving near Marshfield
By Associated Press
Monday, July 26, 2010

MARSHFIELD — A man has died while scuba diving off the coast of Massachusetts.

Authorities in Marshfield say the 57-year-old man, who was not immediately identified, was unconscious when he was brought back to shore by a private boater at about 9 a.m. on Sunday. The victim was pronounced dead at a hospital.

State police are investigating the death, which Marshfield Harbormaster Michael DiMeo called a tragic accident.

© Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

First I have heard about it, I will definately be watching the news tonight to see if they say anything about this.

found another article that mentions the guys name and where he is from..

Man dies while scuba diving near Marshfield - BostonHerald.com

just adding the text...
Man dies while scuba diving near Marshfield

By Laura Crimaldi
Monday, July 26, 2010 - Updated 40 minutes ago

An experienced scuba diver from West Brookfield died yesterday while diving off the coast of Marshfield, officials said.

A friend scuba diving with Robert Hayes, 57, went to fetch him after he did not return after a dive, said fire Capt. Shawn Robinson. When the friend caught up to Hayes, he noticed the man was unconscious and had most of his gear off.

The men were diving off a boat about 200 yards offshore at about 9:30 a.m., officials said.

Hayes was put on a boat, where rescuers performed CPR, and taken to Town Pier, where an ambulance met him to go to South Shore Hospital, Robinson said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Robinson said Hayes’s friend guessed he might have suffered a heart attack because he had plenty of air left in his tank.

“They said he was in great shape and dives quite a bit,” Robinson said.

An autopsy will determine the cause and manner of his death, said Bridget Norton Middleton, a spokeswoman for Plymouth County District

Attorney Timothy Cruz. She added Hayes’s death does appear to be suspicious, but state police will examine his diving gear to determine whether it was working properly.

His family declined comment today.

sorry to hear-----suspicious as in What??

Those parts of Soggy's quote of the newspaper which sound suspicious to me are:

A friend scuba diving with Robert Hayes, 57, went to fetch him after he did not return after a dive, said fire Capt. Shawn Robinson. When the friend caught up to Hayes, he noticed the man was unconscious and had most of his gear off.

Robinson said Hayes’s friend guessed he might have suffered a heart attack because he had plenty of air left in his tank.

“They said he was in great shape and dives quite a bit,” Robinson said.​

As a rule, heart attack victims do not try to remove their gear underwater.

Victims of entanglement may try to remove their gear but would typically be found still entangled and with no air left in their tank.

Panic and narcosis are possible, but depth was not cited as an issue. The diver appears to have been experienced.

Thanks for posting. I heard about it yesterday but hadn't been able to find out anything. Always sorry hear about diving accidents.

Man dies while scuba diving
Diver may have been tangled in buoy lines

By Bradford L. Miner TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
Add a comment

MARSHFIELD — A 57-year-old West Brookfield man died Sunday morning while scuba diving near Brant Rock off the Marshfield coast.

The dive line of Robert J. Hayes of 35 New Braintree Road, West Brookfield, an experienced scuba diver, may have become tangled in buoy lines, according to Plymouth Assistant District Attorney Bridget Norton Middleton.

A boat with Mr. Hayes and a fellow diver launched from the town pier about 7:45 a.m. Sunday, and the pair was underwater for about 30 minutes, according to authorities.

Mr. Hayes’ diving companion noticed his friend had not headed back to the boat as planned, and he was found below the surface.

While the friend was trying to revive Mr. Hayes, three fishermen in a nearby boat motored over to assist. The fishermen radioed for help and the group administered CPR.

Authorities say it appeared Mr. Hayes had started to remove his buoyancy vest, an indication he was trying to free himself from something. His knife had been removed from its holder, according to Marshfield fire Capt. Shawn Robinson.

Marshfield rescuers took him to South Shore Hospital in Weymouth, where he was pronounced dead at 10:30 Sunday morning.

Marshfield harbormaster Michael DiMeo characterized the death as “a tragic accident” and said weather and sea conditions were optimum at the time of the accident.

He said the two men were diving in about 35 feet of water, and Mr. Hayes was familiar with the area.

An autopsy will be done by the state medical examiner, but the death does not appear to be suspect, according to Ms. Norton Middleton. The case remains under investigation; state police will analyze the dive equipment as part of the investigation.

Sgt. Charles H. Laperle of the West Brookfield police said Marshfield police called him to notify Mr. Hayes’ family.

He said Mr. Hayes was employed by the Highway Division of the state Department of Transportation

Man dies while scuba diving

I was in a dive shop today and just learned of this. Evidently the accident divers buddy was in and decribed what happened. He became entangled in the flag line and the regulator also was tangled and unreachable for the diver. They were Lobster diving and became separated. The rest of the news tells the rest. I don't know eiyher guy, but feel bad for all involved. The buddy diver is understandably devastated, but should be aware diving in New England, your going to loose sight of your buddy alot. We all know the risks

3$ in latex tubing to make a octo strap. i never thought i need one until i tried the 7ft hose, now i don't like diving without one. this is one of those shortcomings of agency training that only surface once in a while but when they do it HURTS.

Back
Top Bottom