Death of British Tourist in Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I noticed this item in the press. It should make for interesting debate and discussion on the issues of the role of dive professionals, individual responsibility of divers, protocol, etc. The media appear to be making a great deal out of the statements of an "expert witness" at a Coroner's Inquest being held in England.

Here are some news reports:

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Scuba girl drowns after dive crew 'forgets' her

Instructor 'forgets' about sick scuba diver who drowns | Metro.co.uk

I thought it was interesting that the article kept emphasizing fault on the part of the DM, but dismissed the fact that the diver's buddy had terminated the dive early and left her in the water by herself.

Tragic indeed. I was taught never to dive when you're sick, usually in the context of colds, congestion, sinus blockage. This gives it whole new meaning. You have to wonder if she took out her reg to regurgitate, or if she knew she could regurgitate with her reg in place. If she was alone, we'll never know.

Expert witnesses, by their nature tend to be very quotable. Actual facts may be a bit dull by comparison.

IMO the story was inconclusive with regard to her buddy leaving her as in many such situations a buddy will signal that they are continuing the dive if the other is surfacing for non-emergency reasons.

I agree, too much emphasis is being placed on the DM's ability to determine the diver's fitness to dive. Resort/holiday destination diving is for better or worse accomplished by many divers who are dehydrated for obvious reasons. If the women was that incapacitated she should not have embarked on the dive in the first place...

So she was sick, her buddy thumbs the dive, and she de-cided to stay and continue diving. seems a simple lesson, when your buddy thumbs a dive you do also.
DM was pointing out sharks and rays? isnt that what we all pay him for?

unless she was a brand new diver, or a child, (neither in this story) then the DM had little responsibility to herd cats underwater, the fact that they noticed her after ascending is well, Duh. sort of like finding something in the last place you look. when else were they going to find her.

It is always bad to lose a diver and I mean nothing disrespectful to anyone reading this. any loss is tragic, but from a diving perspective, really simple lessons. dont dive sick, stay with your buddy, and the DM is not there to keep you safe during your dive, your brain and training are.

We've had these DM responsibility discussions here before. In general, the majority seemed to believe that the divers are responsible for their own safety and the DM is just a tour guide. Personally, I'd expect the DM to have a little higher standard than that. Either way, this alleged expert made a very one-sided presentation and a lot of definitive statements.

There's more fact that we don't have regarding the timing of the buddy's decision to retire and if there was any attempt of the victim to attach to another dive group or buddy with the DM.

I Definitely feel like blame should be placed on the diver and Buddy more than the DM. Im sorry, but divers need to step up and accept responsibilty for themselves- if you have a heart attack, if you penetrate without training, if you dive sick, if you dive period, it is your decision, and you are responsible for yourself. If you are with an instructor that is different, but the job of a DM is to take care of logistics, Safety equipment, and enjoyment- it is not to chase down the 10 divers following him checking air, ensuring you are diving within your limits or holding your hand (ok, sorry. rant over)

I dont like the statement about why the DM would "Allow" the diver to dive dehydrated. DMs dont allow anyone to dive, divers choose to dive and unlitmatly the decision to dive was hers. And the DM wasnt acting as an instuctor (or at least it doesnt say he was), so that means his role was to make the dive as enjoyable as posssible- usually this means pointing out cool things (like hammerheads and manta rays).... I cant imagine trying to tell a diver "hey you just spent thousands of dollars getting from the UK to this yahct in the Galapagos, but you seem a little sick, and possibly dehydrated. Im sorry but you wont be able to dive today" Can you imagine!!

I would be curious to know for how long the diver was "forgotten"underwater. They say they didnt notice she was missing till she floated to the surface- is this because it was still within dive time limits? or was is 12 hours later?

the way I read it, they did not notice her till they surfaced after their dive presumably because at some time they separated and had no idea where she was or what was happening to her and were busy with their own diving. apparently she was on the surface, was she fully inflated? did the boat have a look out?
how do livaboards account for divers during dive hours?

Worthless voyeuristic reading of poor report, without any useful dive detail.
More speculation.
Was the food, coke mixed with rum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom