Death of one 20 year old Singapore youth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those not familiar with diving in Singapore waters, viz is about 1m/3ft at it's best. Current can be pretty strong, since the diving area is in a channel. Lots of reclaimation work around the area too. Not exactly the best area for dive training, but there is very little choice around Singapore.

Very sad news...

I've not dived near Singapore, but was sailing in the same area mentioned in the article. I would call the current very strong.

I didn't measure it, but figure I've seen 3 knot currents in the channel between Pulau Ubin and Chengi.

That can take you out of visible contact in four or five seconds.

Trouble is that the population with the resources to dive are in S'pore and there is fantastic diving weekend traveling distance away. So there will always be OW courses trying to conduct OW certifications near S'pore.

Maybe when they have completed the Marina Barage ? Heard the current Marina Bay will be developed into a centre stage show. Integrated resort there. Some water sports could also be available there.

Perhaps they will consider some diving allowed there. Since it is more confined maybe is a better choice ??

This is weird. Hantu is generally a sheltered area and fairly shallow. Even if he did drift away from the dive group, he could have surfaced and someone would have picked him up. Does anyone know what he died of? No reason was given for the death.

but when the tides come in it's dangerous. On my final graduation dive there, my grp had to be towed to the buoy as all of us were being swept away from the buoy and could not reach it on our own.

we had to be towed back to the boat another time after the dive as we were swept south towards the channel.

Agreed. The current can get strong. But if you surface, the boats will be able to pick you up. I have dived Hantu many times and there are times when the currents are exceptional. But no matter, once you surface and inflate, the boats will usually pick you up. What I want to understand is how did he drown. Even an emergency ascent from that depth would not kill...

that's one answer that everyone wants to know but noone will know... I remembered that nearly went into a panic when i got tangled in the buoy line. somehow the rope managed to loop around my ankle and when the surge picked the up the slack, it just tightened itself around my ankle...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom