Death on Catalina Friday July 27, 2012 Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody who knows any details on the incident involving a drowning of a diver off Catalina please post. Diver was a personal friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did this happen? Hadn't heard anything about it so I assume it was off a private boat or a mainland dive boat? My condolences to you for the loss of your friend.

Where did this happen? Hadn't heard anything about it so I assume it was off a private boat or a mainland dive boat? My condolences to you for the loss of your friend.

The word I heard was that he was diving using a line and umbilical and a surface low pressure compressor. One report was that he went to deep and didn't wait long enough on ascension but looking for answers. Thanks

I was on the way to catalina and heard the first radio call from what sounded like the boat owner saying his dive buddy surface behind him after he had already climed onto the boat, his buddy looked distressed so he was preparing to reenter the water and buddy disappeared. Boat was a 27' catamaran in an unknwown cove between long point and goat harbor, missing diver was reported to be 47 year old man in a gray camoflage wetsuit. i listened until diver was recovered in 65 feet of water and baywatch was performing cpr, you could tell by the sound of it and the amount of time gone by that there was no hope. very sad to listen to this.

He was my brother. We don't fully know what happened that day and it is best not to speculate. Please stay safe everyone.

He was my brother. We don't fully know what happened that day and it is best not to speculate. Please stay safe everyone.

I am very sorry for your loss...I will keep you and my family in my prayers.

I'm sorry for your loss, Please keep in mind that this forum will more than likely have alot of speculation regarding this incident. Some times speculation may actually help keep us safe. I actually learn alot in this forum reading about what might have happened. I know it may be hard for you and it may just be none of our business but I think that the more info you can provide to us about the incident the more likely the incident is to save life. Either way may GOD bless your family and may your brother rest in peace.

besafe, i am so sorry for you loss. we do this forum to try and help other divers stay safe by trying to get to the cause of the accident. I will pray for you and your family during this sad time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom