December-Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me a general idea of what the conditions are like in the Andaman islands in December? I'm thinking about a four day liveaboard trip but I've heard some negatives recently, particularly in relation to coral bleaching. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The coral bleaching event ended some years ago and the recovery has been substantial, but not complete. I did a liveaboard in the North Andaman last January. Conditions were only fair and that trip paled in comparison with the South Andaman trips Iv'e done in the past few years. If I can manage it, all the diving I do in the near future will be either South Andaman or southern Gulf. I'm doing a South Andaman trip in October, just after the marine parks reopen.

December is normally a good time of year for diving the whole of the Andaman region both North and South. The area's are different to each other, with the south having more soft coral and macro life. It is also less crowded as less boats go there, this is because everyone has heard of Similan and Richelieu so the boats concentrate on that area. The South including Hin Daneg, Muang and Koh Haa are great dives with many amazing things to see. There is more soft coral in this area so it recovered quicker from the beaching event of many years ago. You can dive this area by liveaboard too over 2 or 3 days, we offer a 3 day trip, run in conjunction with a 4 day northern trip, let me know if you want more information.

Last year, IMO: the South Andaman divesites are at least comparable to Similans with regards to amount and variety of marine life. Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa have been really excellent, and offer some excellent diving. Visibility though is unpredictable there, except at Koh Haa where it tends to be good. Also the other southern sites like the best sites in the Phi Phi are and the Shark Point area are really nice, King Cruiser wreck at the moment even better and excellent.
At the Similans there are 5 diving areas: Similans itself, maximum on par with some of the southern sites but not as good as the best sites there, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, which were really nice diving last season, and Surin Islands, where there is not much diving done and conditions are more unpredictable.

So I'd recommend either a minimum 4 days trip to the northern sites with the focus on Bon, Tachai and Richelieu, a 3-day trip exclusively to Bon, Tachai and Richelieu, a southern trip and/or a combination of those.

Now if you mean 'Andaman islands' as you mention, so India, the story would be different of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom