Decent budget places in Curacao & Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello folks,

I'm very new to diving OW certified with 14 dives all within the past year and all in Cozumel.

Now I have the bug and am planning another trip this summer to Curacao and Bonaire, looking at approx a week at each location. I'm optimally looking for a nice, decently priced place, that is located in a nice spot for activities/touring when not diving ie not a 10 dollar taxi ride one way to hot spots if I can help it.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Your request may get more attention in the "ABC Islands" (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) sub-subforum of the "Lesser Antilles" subforum.

Bonaire is set up to be a great island for doing your own thing. You can rent a pickup truck, rent tanks, and drive around the island and dive as much as you want. If you prefer not to rent a car, you can do boat diving with Divi. It's a resort and dive shop. They are centrally located in the main city. I suggest you also check out Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!.

Curacao is a great island as well. One option for you might be The Dive Bus (The Dive Bus - WELCOME). They have a pick up service that's free if you have two divers or for $10 per day if you're by yourself. Check out their web site for details. As far as hotels, it depends on whether you want to be in the middle of it all or away from it all. Check out the forums as well as sites like TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com).

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving!

moved to ABC forum...

Om Curacao there are lots of possibilities. Dive operators with pick-up service, or renting an apartment so you can combine inside cooking and outside eating.

Diving for a reasonable price and still taxi for after diving. If you book centrally most of the activities are close by like restaurants etc.

We are specialized in diving but do work together with some apartments.

If you want more send us a PM.

Happy planning with your dive holiday.

We are staying at the Atlantis apartments in about three weeks........will post report when we get back.

On Curacao I have only stayed at the Hyatt which is definitely NOT budget.

On Bonaire have stayed at Buddy Dive and Divi. Neither is fancy but both are ultra convenient to excellent diving. Divi is a bit of a tired "resort" but has a way better location in regards to being able to walk into town for dinner and drinks. It is also more convenient to the southern sites which I really enjoy.

A place that I just heard about may be worth checking out. It is a couple blocks inland from Divi is called Djambo. New place and very walkable to downtown. They are advertising a $650 per week p/p double occupancy deal including all you can eat tanks from Dive Friends and truck rental. Includes Nitrox up to 3 tanks a day which is very helpful with all of the diving you will do on Bonaire. The place looks really cool and the reviews on TripAdvisor rave about it. I am trying to get to Bonaire in October and am giving them a hard look. No reef outside your front door but you are never very far from a great dive on that island.

- Djambo Bonaire Appartementen met zwembad

(don't worry if you don't speak Dutch, the website will be in English for you)
Have a great trip!

If diving is the primary reason for the trip I would suggest 2 weeks Bonaire and skip Curacao

I could not disagree with Bas Noij more. I have been to both Curacao and Bonaire, and enjoy Curacao much more. With you being a fairly new diver, Bonaire could prove to be a bit intimidating for you. Look at the post "treacherous shore diving in Bonaire"(that might not be exactly the wording) and you will get all sorts of opinions about what to expect there. My wife and I both have over 300 dives, about 75 of them shore dives, and we found Curacao to be easier to deal with.
Check out All West Apartments in Westpunt Curacao. They have a good priced package with unlimited shore diving, apartment and rental car or truck. Also right nearby Ocean Encounters West where you can do their house reef or do a couple of boat dives. Try Watamula, you will not regret going!
Either way, have fun, be safe!

My husband (has over 150 dives) and myself (have a little over 75 dives) have been to both Curacao and Bonaire. While the diving on both island we found to be amazing, we have come to prefer Curacao. I actually completed my open water certs in Curacao in 2006. We dont mind no frills but have found curacao to be an overall more pleasant vacation/diving experience. We have found the service of the dive shops t obe less cattle call and more laid back, have found staff to provide better service, and have found them to be much more patient with people. We found bonaire to be a little less friendly in the way of the dive shops. We stayed at Divi flamingo when we were there and did a few shore dives as well. the current/surf was much less but it is still minimal in Curacao. We will make our 5th trip back to Curacao in the fall and literally have fallen in love with the island. We fly from NYC to Curacao through miami - haven't found it to be bad at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom