Decent budget places in Curacao & Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this info. I too enjoyed Curacao a bit more than Bonaire. I hope to go back in the near future. I felt that Curacao had more non-diving things to do which really rounded out the vacation.

I think the comment from Bas may be a little biased as his profile says he lives and works in the diving industry in Bonaire!!!!!

Bas, if you make such comments perhaps it would be better to back them up with some reasons behind your thinking?

Wow my first opportunity to compare the two. I went to Curacao and all west this November. Have been to Bonaire about 10 times. Really enjoyed my diving at all west and do plan on going back. Also really like all west despite some of the dive groups that were there. might pick a specific unit next time to help control that. anyway....
I would pick Bonaire if getting there was as easy. I do find Bonaire's size to be more appealing for me but if you want more things to do besides diving I'd guess Curacao would be better. I never ventured far from westpunt. Legun was as far as I got south or east. Curacao is much bigger more spread out. Bonaire is smaller and everything is more condensed. Saw most of Bonaire on my first visit, admit saw a small part of Curacao on my visit.
Diving for me both were great.
For me there is greater choice of places I would stay on Bonaire. Curacao from what little I've seen I'd stay at All West again, didn't see anything else that fits me. Might be others but have not found them. Bonaire has many more choices for me.
Although the diving is comparable I'd do more different dives in Bonaire than I'd do in Curacao.
Distances between dive sites is greater on Curacao. giving my dive likes this is really not an issue for me but it is what it is.
Also Bas is a great person to dive with on Bonaire. Highly recommend him and wish I was diving with him again soon.oh well.....
Different strokes for different folks but for me Bonaire is the winner except its not so easy to get there. Curacao is a great alternative for me.

I'll vote for All West/Curacao. In terms of budget, i. e. $$$/dive, it is hard to beat them. Judging from my regular price check, Bonaire has become more expensive in the last 2-3 years. Our son was diving there last Summer with his GF and the only budget place they found was Buddy's near Oil Slick.

PS: If you are really tight on budget, keep in mind that the only boat dive you MUST do in Northern Curacao is Watamula. Everything else looks pretty much like sites you can access from shore, so it's not worth the money. And make sure you rent a truck with All West. For some reason, they will try to convince you you need a car which is part of their default package. But insist on a truck, so you can access dive sites at San Juan (Mansalina etc).

I think the comment from Bas may be a little biased as his profile says he lives and works in the diving industry in Bonaire!!!!!

Bas, if you make such comments perhaps it would be better to back them up with some reasons behind your thinking?

Here you go sir. Indeed I live on Bonaire and I work in the dive industry. Both for a very good reason, being that I sincerely think that both living and diving are much better on Bonaire. My opinion of course. You asked for some unbiased reasons so here is the most recent (VERY recent in this case) Readers' Choice Awards which is the most influential 'scuba destination ranking' (for lack of a better word): 2011 Top 100 Readers' Choice Results | Scuba Diving

Please take note of the amount of top 3 finishes for Bonaire (incl 4 number 1 spots) compared to Curacao.

Of course no doubt Curacao is much better than many other destinations and indeed if you like a vibrant night life or bigger resorts or shopping has more to offer than Bonaire. But I stand by my original comment that if diving is your primary objective then Bonaire is the place to be.

LOL...funny... I think that Nivek's comment to my posting is also biased....he lives on Curacao and works in the dive industry there!!!

Well, here's another take. My wife and I really liked Curacao. Went to the now-defunct Sunset Waters/Sunset Divers. Great location with great access to all the western dive sites. However, we recently bought a condo on Bonaire because there are so many great dive sites easily accessible, subject only to our having a rental vehicle available. I wouldn't state that the diving is better in one place than the other. Rather, many of the best dive sites on Curacao are only accessible by boat, whereas most on Bonaire are nearby and accessible from shore. Opinions of others will differ, obviously.

Well I'm going to throw my 2 cents into this one as well. Firstly as you all know (and I make no secret of it :D) I own on Bonaire. However what you may not know is that I've spent a good 30 years traveling the islands of the Caribbean always with the intent of buying after I sold my property in the US Virgin Islands. After my extensive travels, I then chose Bonaire for a variety of reasons, and great diving on Bonaire was obviously one of them!

Bas, please note nowhere did I say skip Bonaire and go to Curacao for two weeks so I don't see how my remark could be seen as biased!

I was purely pointing out that comments made with no reasonable explanation as to how they are arrived at, and in particularly when submitted by people with a financial interest in the topic, should be taken with a "pinch of salt".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom