Decline bench, incline bench, flat bench

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
After reading that flat bench presses are more prone to causing some injuries than decline and incline I switched a few weeks ago to decline and incline. All has been going well but this past week my delts seem to be a bit more involved than usual. I don't think I am doing anything differently but perhaps some of the SB he-man types can provide some suggestions.

What you are mainly doing with the decline and incline bench is changing the ROM {range of motion} for the exercise. You are also moving the 'heavy' working parts of the delts. Incline = more upper delts, decline, more arms less delts. Unless you are into bodybuilding, changing the bench position will mainly be a variety issue.

Can you explain the increased cause of injury? Most of what I see that can be injury causing would be poor form.

What did you read that said flat bench was bad for you? Incorrect form is the major cause of injury, not the exercise. Flat bench is a good controlled exercise when performed correctly. I understand the want to incorporate other exercises that round out the workout and increase the Bern in a specific muscle group. I wouldn't drop flat bench. Heck I read a study that your muscles shrink under Tattoos. I still have tattoos. LOL I'm not shrink'n.

Incline BP will work your upper pecs and delts more.
Decline BP will work the lower pecs.

Hope this helps

I'm not serious, just like to stay in shape. When I used to BP flat, incline or decline, I always seemed to feel it more in my arms or delts than in my chest. I now do 3-4 sets of flies before doing bench work and it has worked great.

Might want to give it a try.

What did you read that said flat bench was bad for you? Incorrect form is the major cause of injury, not the exercise. Flat bench is a good controlled exercise when performed correctly. I understand the want to incorporate other exercises that round out the workout and increase the Bern in a specific muscle group. I wouldn't drop flat bench. Heck I read a study that your muscles shrink under Tattoos. I still have tattoos. LOL I'm not shrink'n.

Book by Dorian Yates. He suggested declines and inclines rather than flat bench. I'll have to try and find the exact quote.

In any case my routine is being/has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. I no longer do "single joint" exercises. It's now bench, squat/dead lift (after I get my hip fixed), calf raise, dips, pulls, chins. Cardio is walk.

The most common bench related injury I see in the weight room is people using their feet and arching their backs up of the bench... This does put you in a bit of a decline position, and you can lift more weight, (its cheating) It is absolutely TERRIBLE for your back.

I don’t make it in to the gym nearly enough but when I do, I do all three, decline being my least favorite, I never feel as stable doing decline.

Dorian Yates is probably talking about "cheating" as BMR stated. Do not use your legs to push against your back on the flat BP. Bad juju brah. Proper form on any exercise still can produce injury but will limit it dramatically. I will lift my legs to ad difficulty on the FBP at times this also takes all the pressure off of your lower back. I am 40 and have seen only a few work out injuries directly related to FBP. All because of improper form. One because of irregular breathing.(long story ;-)

Well I was not cheating the weight, and never have, so I doubt that was the cause of discomfort. Anywho, the delts are feeling mucho-bettero. Thanks for your input. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom