Deco beer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard to imagine what diving would be like without sharing some post-dive beers with my friends. It's just a very enjoyable and sociable thing to do in our world. We call it "the debriefing".
No one gets drunk or loud. We're all responsible people.

And only after all the diving is done.

Last edited:
As I have gotten older I have had to limit my drinking.....now I only drink on days that end with a "Y". Remember.....alcoholics go to meetings........ I am just a drunk (j/k!)

Many, many moons ago I was amongst a group of friends who would on occasion shotgun cans of beer during shallow dives. For the past several decades though I abstain until back ashore, finished driving, and got my camera soaking in rinse tank.

Hot coffee after a shore dive or between dives. On a boat, beer after the last dive in the summer. I have never seen anyone drink alcohol between dives. The only time I’ve sen significant drinking during sports is during softball games and it never ended well.

In the news, REALLY!

In a study by a Univ. of California neurologist, it was found that drinking 2 glasses of beer daily cuts premature death by 18%. 15-45 minutes of exercise cut the same risk by 11%. Seems to me that drinking a beer after diving (exercise) is just a smart thing to do!

For nondrinkers, the doctor of the German Olympic ski team did a study in 2009 and found that nonalcoholic beer decreased inflammation and upper respiratory issues after running the Munich Marathon. A German brewery supplied about 1000 gallons for the German athletes at the winter Olympics. This surely has been known for many years as when I was young, I read of runners who ran a 6 pack of alcoholic beer a day (a beer every so many miles.) Don't remember if it was for inflammation or nutrition. So, I'm going with beer (whether it's alcoholic or nonalcoholic) having these added benefits. An ibuprofen replacement!

I have never seen anyone drink alcohol between dives.

The first time I dove in Coz, every surface interval was on shore at a beach bar. I hated it because I know I'm not drinking or eating between dives, but was basically forced to wait on others of whom a few did have a beer. Fortunately, although I still have been on boats that come ashore on surface intervals, it hasn't been at a beach bar.

Hot coffee after a shore dive or between dives. On a boat, beer after the last dive in the summer. I have never seen anyone drink alcohol between dives.

Nor have I.

So, I didn't read all the posts, but since alcohol is a vasodilator, wouldn't that improve off-gassing? That would mean that a drink before a dive would increase on-gassing too.

Back
Top Bottom