Deco obligation during Emergency Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef_Haven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How would you handle this situation?
My buddy and I and 6 others were diving a 100' deep reef, seas were running 3 - 5' with a pretty strong current. The boat was tied up to a mooring ball with tag line. There was no discussion of emergency recall. No guide or DM in the water, the captain and deckhand stayed on board. Each buddy team would be diving seperately, not as a group.
After boarding from our dive we watched the following situation play out.
Two divers surfaced about 2-300 yards down current from the boat and inflated their SMBs. They had overshot the mooring line and spent their safety stop swimming against the current, to try to be within sight of the boat when they surfaced. Apparently neither had a spool to deploy their SMB before surfacing.
The deckhand borrowed one of our SMB's, inflated it and tried to signal back to the two divers who were now floating away, that we had seen them. There was no indication they saw his signal. By that time the 3rd pair had boarded the boat and said the 4th pair had just reached the mooring line.
After 3 or 4 minutes the last pair had still not surfaced and the other pair were out of sight, so the deck hand began banging on the ladder with a lead weight to try to call the divers up. He did this about once minute for the next few minutes, even though someone mentioned they probably were in deco. When they finally surfaced one diver was OOA. They too had missed the mooring line and by the time they had worked their way back to the line, they had gone into deco. They still had a 5 minute obligation when they surfaced.
No oxygen was given, no signs of DCS and the other two divers who drifted away seemed to be in good spirits when picked up.
I guess my question is IF you got into a situation where you had a Deco obligation and there was an Emergency Recall, what would you do?

If you don't do unplanned deco the situation doesn't arise.

C'mon, Ian, you can do better than that - it's not helpful at all.

If the situation happens, what do you do? :)

If it's a few minutes of unintentional deco it's honestly probably not a huge deal either way. I'd probably complete my deco and then surface. Around here we have alot of current and it is always understood that the dive boat will not leave divers in the water. Generally speaking the current is going to take the drifting divers in a steady direction so even if they're a few minutes out of sight it shouldn't be too hard to track them down.

The only situation where I could see a captain abandoning the divers doing deco is if he were witnessing people in distress to the point of endangering they're lives. Say he can see a drifting diver is drowning or a boat close by catches on fire and he is the only boat in a position to lend assistance. Only under such extreme measures might a captain consider leaving, and returning to the later to the divers doing deco and even then it would be a tough decision.

This has been my experience YMMV.

do the freaking deco!!!

This was not a situation that constituted an emergency recall IMO. Like the previous poster indicated current and drifting divers is a way of life in S. Florida. That said, if I heard the clanking I would have blown-off the last 2-3 minutes of deco...

If it's a few minutes of unintentional deco it's honestly probably not a huge deal either way. I'd probably complete my deco and then surface. Around here we have alot of current and it is always understood that the dive boat will not leave divers in the water. Generally speaking the current is going to take the drifting divers in a steady direction so even if they're a few minutes out of sight it shouldn't be too hard to track them down.

The only situation where I could see a captain abandoning the divers doing deco is if he were witnessing people in distress to the point of endangering they're lives. Say he can see a drifting diver is drowning or a boat close by catches on fire and he is the only boat in a position to lend assistance. Only under such extreme measures might a captain consider leaving, and returning to the later to the divers doing deco and even then it would be a tough decision.

This has been my experience YMMV.

That sounds logical . . . but what if the worst is true? Someone surfaces unconscious, needing CPR, needing to get to the dock NOW. If the captain has to make the decision to leave divers down, what do the divers do? Hang around the mooring ball until pickup? :idk:

That sounds logical . . . but what if the worst is true? Someone surfaces unconscious, needing CPR, needing to get to the dock NOW. If the captain has to make the decision to leave divers down, what do the divers do? Hang around the mooring ball until pickup? :idk:

I seriously doubt that a good capt will deliberately abandon healthy divers and head for shore unless he has made accomodations for their pick up by others. The only reason I would leave divers would be if the boat were sinking and I thought it likely that we would sink if we remained at sea.

I was once in a very bad weather situation where I begged the capt to leave the divers to float off, because I thought we were probably going to sink. That is what I would have wanted, even if I were the one in the water.

I'm kinda with dumpsterDiver on this one. You have two choices, stay with the boat or stay with the wreck (reef). Decide fast. If you choose "reef" due to real deco obligation, tie off and shoot a bag. Do your hang. I'ts going to happen sooner or later, no biggie.

If you choose to obey the recall because you have a light deco obligation, ("light" being your call alone) go to onboard O2 and be nice, the captain has an immediate problem. Be really pissed if you obey the recall and onboard O2 isn't available.

I'd do the deco, maybe skipping the last few minutes.

I am glad I dive in a place with live boats... if I drift I get picked up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom