Deco on Dives in Coz? Educate Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using Nx on the second dive of a 2 tank trip is generally my choice too as it reduces the risk of a down current on a wall, but you often just never know where you're going until the boat votes.

Yup - For each boat trip, I just always picked up one tank with 30% and the other plain air, then decided which dive to use the nitrox on based upon where we went and what the expected depth was. Not a bad strategy for Coz.

Yup - For each boat trip, I just always picked up one tank with 30% and the other plain air, then decided which dive to use the nitrox on based upon where we went and what the expected depth was. Not a bad strategy for Coz.
Good plan except for the down currents there. I've been on the top of a wall looking around, then a moment later 100 ft down wishing I hadn't left my pony on the boat.

For Nx, I don't like to dive it on planned wall dives there in case of a down current, preferring it for the planned shallower dive, or maybe just the after lunch dive. If you do two 2-tank trips in a day, the third dive, after lunch dive, is often deeper than the second.

You really should post the Navy Seal picture of you and you 500 pounds of gear, Don. It would seem germaine to the discussions.

You really should post the Navy Seal picture of you and you 500 pounds of gear, Don. It would seem germaine to the discussions.
Haha far from true there, Chief. Marine Corps, lonnnnng ago, and they didn't teach me anything useful in real life.

This thread has certainly wandered. It was above recreational diving and overdrawing a computer a few minutes...
Whatever dive computer one buys, you have made your choice in what computer program you are going to follow in the water. Follow it!

Know your computer well and what it means when it alerts you to deco, what to do, and just do it.

It's no biggie to go over 2 or 3 minutes. Many computers will clear that before you even get to the SS. Whatever - clear it somewhere on ascent, on SS, wherever, then add your optional SS to that.

If you didn't carry enough gas to do all that well the first time, do what you can, share with your buddy, DM, whoever is available.

If that fails, do all you can in the water, then get on boat O2 - any boat's, if yours in not handy when you surface. I've never been on O2, but I have been picked up by an Okie boat there.

If you want bigger margins, dive 100 cf tanks with a 19 cf pony like I do.​
Coz ain't necessarily newbie diving, but it's not generally tech diving either.

Okay -- so you're willing to consider any given dive to be possibily a decompression dive or not, depending on which computer evaluates it. I'm okay with that. And I totally agree that having a team diving different algorithms is a recipe for irritation at best, or serious problems at worst.

The time diffrences between computers can be well over 30 minutes for relatively simple dives. See page 139 of this presentation:

http://www.lacountyscuba.com/programs/uicc/ppt/2009/DECOTHEORIES.ppt

It is really hard to plan with that much difference.

Back
Top Bottom