Deco tank SPG ** POLL **

Do you use a SPG on your 100% O2 Deco tank?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok gang,

This question came up in the shop today. How many of you out there use an SPG on their O2 tanks?

I have a beer riding on this poll :eyebrow:

Cheers :D

Yes, I like to know how much gas is in a tank, whether that is O2 or not.....

SPG's attach to regulators, not tanks.

Yes, but only so we don't have to answer questions about why we don't have them. Either you have sufficient gas or you don't. Either way, you're not altering any of your earlier stops and breathing off it until you're clear or it's bone dry. So basically, they only serve two purposes. One, predive verification that could be accomplished with a single pressure checker, and keeping gear identical and interchangable with a minimum of fuss.

SPG's attach to regulators, not tanks.

Oh Come on Jeff, I thought you were a "Thinking Diver" :shakehead:

Oh Come on Jeff, I thought you were a "Thinking Diver" :shakehead:

What makes you think that I am not a Thinking Diver?

Ahhh..I read the poll results. No answer is required.

Well Jeff,

Please enlighten me what difference it makes at 20 ft whether you know how much o2 is in your tank? Is there anything you can do about it? Do you normally breathe your o2 down till your tank is empty? do you not follow your own gas plan in case of lost deco gas?

I do a pre-dive pressure check on the o2 and verify the pressure. I then put on the reg, pressurise the system, and shut it off. I bring it into the cave and tie it off. I then verify again that the valve is off. If I got a freeflow or a blown tank o-ring on my way into the cave I would call the dive. But, if it happens when you're 1500 ft back in the cave, it matters not if the tank has a gauge or not, you're still going to deco on backgas.

I know it's gonna hurt alot, but try to answer in more than 5 or 6 word 1 line responses. :lotsalove:

Well Jeff,

Please enlighten me what difference it makes at 20 ft whether you know how much o2 is in your tank? Is there anything you can do about it? Do you normally breathe your o2 down till your tank is empty? do you not follow your own gas plan in case of lost deco gas?

I do a pre-dive pressure check on the o2 and verify the pressure. I then put on the reg, pressurise the system, and shut it off. I bring it into the cave and tie it off. I then verify again that the valve is off. If I got a freeflow or a blown tank o-ring on my way into the cave I would call the dive. But, if it happens when you're 1500 ft back in the cave, it matters not if the tank has a gauge or not, you're still going to deco on backgas.

I know it's gonna hurt alot, but try to answer in more than 5 or 6 word 1 line responses. :lotsalove:

hint:

I wouldn't take an spg off a reg.

On all of my stage regulators, I use those small screw-in spg's that are the equilant size of approx. 10 dimes stacked up and thread right into any high prossure slot on the 1st Stage. I rarely ever have to look at the spg, but it does come in handy from time to time - inexpensive, non-obtrussive and handy.

hint:

I wouldn't take an spg off a reg.

Uhhh.. Hint, neither do I...

They have these neet little portable gauges called tank pressure checkers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom