Decompression Chamber-homemade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Hey, I got a good name for your new chamber:

Darwin Hall! :D
Remember what Ralph used to say to Alice?

Gary D.

DA Aquamaster:
Even with only an 8 cu ft per minute compressor, you could still use an airbank to provide the air required to blow the chamber down to the required depth and to ventilate the chamber as needed. With a big enough air bank and enough time between cycles, you could do it with 3.5 cfm compressor.

The pressure vessel itself is the big issue. The 75 psi needed to reach 165 ft. is no big deal with a small pressure vessel, but the stresses involved could pose a real challenge for a 2000 gallon septic tank. The effects of rapid decompression (ie. a near instaneous ascent from 165 ft) if it failed would be a real killer even if it did not explode.

Generally compressors listed by HP rating not cubic foot a minute are low pressure / shop air compressors. (the original post mentions a 8 HP compressor)

You are correct in that with an extremely large reserve of high pressure air in storage you could run a treatment.

Generally low pressure compressors used for recompressions chamber operations are a minimum of 40 cubic foot a minute usually run in series to provide adequate flow, even with 40 to 80 cubic feet a minute you are limited on the amount of ventilation that can be accomplished without losing chamber pressure.

Without the addition of an overboard dump system for the O2 the chamber is going to require a near continuous vent cycle to prevent the pp O2 from reaching dangerous levels.

I suppose I should have mentioned our septic tank is a used one. We cleaned it out at the car wash and it should be serviceable. Our biggest concern is the hatch. A septic tank top is only 9" in diameter. We need a bigger hatch and a window of some type so the occupant can see out. Any ideas? It was suggested we use 1/4" plexiglass and fasten it with screws and aquarium sealer. What do you think?

Also, should we charge for using the chamber?

Lawman:
I suppose I should have mentioned our septic tank is a used one. We cleaned it out at the car wash and it should be serviceable. Our biggest concern is the hatch. A septic tank top is only 9" in diameter. We need a bigger hatch and a window of some type so the occupant can see out. Any ideas? It was suggested we use 1/4" plexiglass and fasten it with screws and aquarium sealer. What do you think?

Also, should we charge for using the chamber?
If you find any cracks in the tank, seal them up with car body filler. 9-inches for a hatch is ok, you can get out of them if you breathe out a bit! Maybe the hatch should be made of really thick steel just in case it has to survive any kind of rupturing that might occur with the fibreglass? For the windows you want something flexible, i would suggest clingwrap/clingfilm, you can see through it and its easily replaceable with a trip to the grocery store. I think you should charge top dollar for your treatments, i mean look at the 10k+ treatments we hear about, you deserve your cut of that kind of money with all the effort you are putting into this! Think you could actually transport this chamber around on the back of a flatbed truck with no hassles, charge extra for that convenience or maybe instead of medievacing the patient, you could just have a remote controlled helicopter deliver the chamber to the site/patient thus avoid a two way trip from helicopter out to the site and then back into the hospital, you just fly one way to get it to the patient/victim. I think you could really make a go of this :wink:

Lawman:
..snip..
We need a bigger hatch and a window of some type so the occupant can see out. Any ideas? It was suggested we use 1/4" plexiglass and fasten it with screws and aquarium sealer. What do you think?

I thought the main purpose of a window in a chamber is so that the attendant can see what is happening to the patient?

Who cares if the occupant can see out or not?

Just paint the inside blue as that is supposed to be a good color for bedrooms.
Blues that veer towards aqua are supposed to be soothing..

miketsp:
I thought the main purpose of a window in a chamber is so that the attendant can see what is happening to the patient?

Who cares if the occupant can see out or not?
Well it would give you something to look at whilst you were in there, seeing the day passing. :wink:
miketsp:
Just paint the inside blue as that is supposed to be a good color for bedrooms. Blues that veer towards aqua are supposed to be soothing..
Put fish like murals on the walls to make them feel like they are still UW as well! :wink:

As this is clearly a joke to anyone who has anything more than a passing aquaintence with chambers I have moved it to humor so everyone else will also know that this is a joke.

Building a chamber without knowing what you are doing is a fast way to get killed and get someone else killed with you.

Unless you are a real boilermaker or certified in welding pressure vessels then do not even think of building one yourself.

Even if you buy a complete chamber system you also need to budget time and money for training your operators. It doesn't take much of a screw up to kill people even in a proper chamber.

pipedope:
As this is clearly a joke to anyone who has anything more than a passing aquaintence with chambers I have moved it to humor so everyone else will also know that this is a joke.
Spoilsport moving it around! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom