Question Dedicated Oxygen Regulator vs RescuEAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you give an example of this kind of convertor, I can't imagine how that would work..
1677357380528.png

You unscrew the 2nd stage from your hose, and put this on instead. Now you can connect to the RescuEAN.
But the problem is, there is no obvious way to purge the reg when you are done. You can remove the hose from the RescuEAN, but you have to use a chopstick or something to reach into the adapter and press the Schrader valve to purge the system.

View attachment 771584
You unscrew the 2nd stage from your hose, and put this on instead. Now you can connect to the RescuEAN.
But the problem is, there is no obvious way to purge the reg when you are done. You can remove the hose from the RescuEAN, but you have to use a chopstick or something to reach into the adapter and press the Schrader valve to purge the system.

This would require having the approriate spanners/wrenches at hand... I don't believe that I could unscrew a second stage just using my hands, unless there is a technique that I am not aware of.

I really like the idea of the RescuEAN , it's small, almost indestructible and well priced but I am starting to realise that the 02 regulator with an M26 adaptor, at least here in Europe, would offer the path of least resistance should the proverbial hit the fan..

First off....good for you for thinking about having an emergency O2 option on hand.... Regarding your original question of a Dedicated O2 Regulator vs a RescuEan...... I personally decided to have both in order to increase my options...and want to thank @T-Bones for providing me with some sound advice.

My "kit" lives primarily on my boat and I wanted increased O2 capacity for when we are in more remote areas of BC, Neah Bay, etc...
  • My cylinder is a new Luxfer AL80 that came from the factory O2 cleaned for 100% and has never had anything in it but 100% Aviator O2....... and never will.
  • My tank valve is a dedicated DXG Premium in DIN.... This valve has finer threads and so is "slow" opening, no chrome plating, etc...
  • My dedicated O2 Reg is a Dive Rite O2 Deco Reg, in DIN, with 2 LP ports and 1 HP with a 1 inch SPG. All 100% O2 cleaned from the factory and will never be used for anything other than delivery of 100% O2. The reg also has a cleaned LPI hose to connect to the pod.
  • Kit includes a RescuEAN pod, pocket mask and high concentration mask. I also keep a few bottles of water, some aspirin, 4 emergency space blankets, etc. It all fits nicely into a 16in by 12in by 6in deep Pelican type box that keeps everything airtight, watertight and clean.
  • I also have a dedicated 2nd stage on a 25ft hose for the option of hanging a 100% 2nd at 15 - 18 ft. That hose and 2nd lives only on the boat in a waterproof dry-bag.
  • For shore diving I just put the AL80 along with the Pelican box in the back seat of my truck.
What I personally really like about having both options is that a conscious diver has the option of the regulator to breath pure, no waste, fully on demand only O2. Also the option of two divers on the same tank. And then there's the option of IWR.. at less than 20ft. I have a personally enforced MOD of 15ft for 100%. Last but not least is that the RescuEan pod is there if I have any other "tech" tanks on the boat. Even 32 to 50% is better than nothing.

One thing I'll say is that if you are using a SCUBA tank as your 100% O2 vessel, make sure that it is "ridiculously" marked so that that it would take a full fledged Darwin Award candidate to ever dive with it..

n26gQgF.jpg

uOfDpPY.jpg

5lXefKR.jpg

OY4btqe.jpg

9oiAYH9.jpg

Woah, that's quite a setup.... I can understand that diving from a boat can lead to a "lot" of extra time requirements and hence the "more is better" option.
Something that I didn't think about yet were the markings.. And yes since it's a scuba tank so I will get a "large" oxygen sticker... I love the extra sticker you have on the side (Diving below 20ft with this tank will kill you)... I will need to see if a metrtic version is available..

I think that I will definately start with the standard 02 regulator but I am kinda sure that will get the RescuEAN at a later date...

What's in the orange heart shaped box in the image with the RescuEAN ?

Turn the tank valve off before you diconnect it from the R EAN.

What's in the orange heart shaped box in the image with the RescuEAN ?
Standard O2 pocket mask.

Back
Top Bottom