Deep 6 Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd Bissonette

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All! Todd Here.
SO... as might have guessed, the team here at Deep 6 doesn't actually get to go diving as much as we would like, spending most of our time developing new products, and improving on other products, and shipping products from the warehouse, and talking to great people and divers about products, and answering questions about products...

But every so often we actually get to USE the products! Yes we are SCUBA Divers, and actually we are all instructors. We all got into diving at different times... and from different circumstances... but for us it seemed to lead to a place where we want to help people go diving... and have fun diving, so they will go diving more... and get more people to go diving... And so Chris came up with this crazy idea that if we make SCUBA equipment that works really well, and doesn't break down, and comes at a fair price, and is easy to get... that maybe we can get more people to join us in this great thing we call DIVING. It doesn't matter what level you are, or what certifications you have, or what training agency you use, or what equipment you have... JUST GO DIVING! That's how we can all work together to support this industry so that there will always be great dive buddies, and great dive sites, and great Diving!

Welcome to the Deep Six Dive Log!

As my job here at Deep 6 is primarily working on media, I'm always bugging Chris to take a break from all the other stuff and go diving... I mean we need to test everything some more right? And we need to get photos and video of the gear for marketing right? So in this thread I will be posting some dive logs from our adventures, and this way you can all join us virtually on some dives... Until the time we can get wet together.

Please enjoy.
And make sure to [LIKE] us on Facebook, and [Subscribe] to the Youtube Channel.

Cheers!

Todd.
Deep6Gear.com

#justgodiving #deep6gear #scuba #diveordie

DEEP 6 DIVE LOG - S1E1.1

Deep 6 Dive Log
S1 E1.1
Keystorm Wreck

September 5, 2017
Todd Bissonette

upload_2017-10-13_10-13-1.png

The Keystorm. It’s almost like going home. Whenever I come back here, I’m flooded with memories. Of all of the shipwrecks I’ve been on in the St. Lawrence River, and all over for that matter, the Keystorm holds a place dear in my heart. The Keystorm is definitely one of my favorite wrecks, if not my favorite one. It doesn’t have a dramatic story… no one even died when it sank. It isn’t a bucket-list wreck Like the Andrea Doria, or the Empress of Ireland. But the Keystorm is like an old friend. It’s akin to a safe haven for divers. The conditions are always pretty calm. The current is barely ever an issue. She has something for everyone. From the open swim throughs and structures of the wheelhouse and bow. To the huge anchor rising out of the sand. Welcoming open cargo holds, and access to the smaller, darker spaces if that’s what you like. Over the years, I’m sure I have well over 100 dives on this wreck… and I’ll be happy to do 100 more. I guess what I like the most about the Keystorm is that it’s just fun. The dives don’t take a lot of planning, or preparation. There’s always something to do and see. One of my favorite things is to bring newer divers to her. She is a great training platform. I’ve taken many a diver “to the prop”, which for many of them may have been one of their deepest dives at 115’ (35m).

So when I was in North Carolina this past August on a quick trip to gather some video and photo footage for Deep 6 Expedition Dive Gear, my buddy Matt Hauck and I talked about getting up to the 1000 Islands area of the St. Lawrence river for some early fall diving with his girlfriend Kristina Suddard and I jumped at the chance to set things up for them. I figured while we were there I could get some new footage for Deep 6 as well!

As soon as I got back up North I put the gears in motion. Matt and I discussed when would be a good time and decided that the week of Labor day would work well since the traffic would be down and it was just before I needed to be back at Deep 6 Headquarters for Chris’ trip to Taiwan. Of course my first call was to my buddy Heinze Wahl at French Creek Marina in Clayton NY to see what was happening up there and get some things lined up. Unfortunately Heinze wouldn’t be able to dive with us as they had some big projects going on at the marina. But he was most accommodating in being the basecamp for our trip and helping out with some tanks and of course air fills. I then contacted another of the old crew from up there, my recently retired friend John Krake. I’ve dived with John many times as well and off of his boat “Pursuit of Happiness” so I knew he could help us out. He decided it would be fun to get out on the river for a couple of days… He was in!

Sept. 4, 2017 - Monday
I drove from Lake Placid up to Clayton on Monday, arriving at the Marina to meet Heinze and make sure we were all set. talked to John and confirmed we would go to the Keystorm on Tuesday. He decided it would be quicker and easier to trailer the boat up there… it is a quite a boat ride. I met Matt and Kristina for dinner at O’Briens, a Clayton staple for good beers, and good grub. We finalized the itinerary for the next day and went for a good sleep.

Sept 5, 2017 - Tuesday
I woke up early and got all my gear together, and met Heinze to get tanks filled and ready. It had rained during the night, but the outlook for the day was nice, cool and overcast. John was already onsite getting the boat prepared. Matt and Kristina meet us at the Marina, and we head up the road to the public boat launch at Chippewa Bay for our excursion. After a short ride out the buoy, we were in the water! Visibility wasn’t the best, but not too bad. The water temps were nice, upper 60’s to low 70’s. Kristina really enjoyed the wreck and asked if we could do our second dive here as well, which of course was a yes! It was a good day, great dives, no problems that couldn’t be overcome, and I even managed to get a bit of footage of Kristina in her Deep 6 gear. All in all a sucessful outing! And most importantly, we all had fun!

Stay tuned for the next Deep 6 Dive Log : S1 E1.2 - A.E. Vickery Wreck!

Be sure to check out the video below. Please go to Youtube and [subscribe] to our channel for updates! and please feel free to leave any comments or questions about the dives, or about the gear! Of course, you too can get all of your Deep 6 gear at: Deep 6 Gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom