Deep 6 equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they are manufactured by an OEM in Taiwan, along with most every other reg out there, including some that claim to be "Made in USA"
My regs are all made in Italy.

Anyways on topic. I have a set of Deep 6 regs (I really need to dig them up and put them on the classifieds). I think from a performance standpoint they are about equal to most regs on the market, breathing similarly to all but the overbalanced regs. And it is hard to beat getting a sidemount set for about $800 (in 2019). If you want to service it yourself, the kits, training, and instructions are readily available.

The negatives is that they are a small company with a very very limited dealer network. So if you don't want to service it yourself you best choice is to send it in. Which is fine if you are in the US because their turn around time is quite good, often little more than a week door to door. But outside the US, due to travel or living, it will be a concern. It isn't like with some brands where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dealer.

So quality gear, but the direct to consumer nature means the support might not be as robust as other brands. So you decide what is important to you. I personally moved away from their regs as I wanted a better international support network. I want to be able to drop my regs at ZG and pick them up the next afternoon.

The negatives is that they are a small company with a very very limited dealer network. So if you don't want to service it yourself you best choice is to send it in. Which is fine if you are in the US because their turn around time is quite good, often little more than a week door to door. But outside the US, due to travel or living, it will be a concern. It isn't like with some brands where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dealer.
I would think that even a dive shop that had never heard of Deep6 could service their oh-so-simple regs if you handed them the service kit. Whether they would decline to do so is another question. Not being a Deep6 dealer sounds like an excuse a US dive shop might use. In some parts of the world, paying work is just not turned down.

I would think that even a dive shop that had never heard of Deep6 could service their oh-so-simple regs if you handed them the service kit. Whether they would decline to do so is another question. Not being a Deep6 dealer sounds like an excuse a US dive shop might use. In some parts of the world, paying work is just not turned down.
I never got service kits with my regs, and even now I think I only have half the kits I am supposed to have. I also had to rebuild one of the regs twice, which I don't hold against D6, but it showed me the negative of having a limited service network.

So my experience might be colored by that fact.

But like I said, I have no issues with the reg themselves. And at the time I didn't have the cash for brand name regs like I have now. So they served me well.

Absolutely no one things they iPhone is a “rebranded” product, except for people who are obviously attempting to troll.
There are some people who have a real axe to grind with Deep 6/Chris/Landon. It got old, so they left. Thanks trolls!

I never got service kits with my regs, and even now I think I only have half the kits I am supposed to have. I also had to rebuild one of the regs twice, which I don't hold against D6, but it showed me the negative of having a limited service network.

So my experience might be colored by that fact.

But like I said, I have no issues with the reg themselves. And at the time I didn't have the cash for brand name regs like I have now. So they served me well.

I didn’t buy Deep6 regs as I wanted to buy from a company that’s been around for a while. When I was looking last year for a backup set, I went with DR. Everyone has their own priorities and likes/dislikes. I’m not a DIYer so I don’t service my own regs.

I didn’t buy Deep6 regs as I wanted to buy from a company that’s been around for a while.
I agree that longevity is a worthwhile factor to consider, but I chose not to give it TOO much weight in my decision. The core reg designs are tried-and-true.

Is the concern that Deep6 may disappear as a company? While that thought has been in the back of my mind, I didn't let it get in the way of my decision of what to buy. It doesn't seem any more unusual to me to buy regs from newer companies than it does to buy any other gear from newer companies. We all love Shearwater, and they are a relative upstart, too. Shearwater has grown by leaps and bounds, but I would still be buying Shearwater computers even if the company were the same as it was circa 2009. I detect an ambivalence among SB'ers as to the benefits of big well-established companies versus smaller, newer companies. A majority stake in Shearwater gets sold to a private equity company and some SB'ers express fear that their favorite little company is growing up too fast.

I want to be able to drop my regs at ZG and pick them up the next afternoon.
Would ZG not work on my Deep6 regs? Surely those guys have seen Deep6. Parts may be another matter, though I suppose it depends on the part. A lot of parts are generic. I don't know the answer--I'm asking.

Would ZG not work on my Deep6 regs? Surely those guys have seen Deep6. Parts may be another matter, though I suppose it depends on the part. A lot of parts are generic. I don't know the answer--I'm asking.

I don't know, Mexican liability laws are a bit looser than the US's. But I do know with my current choice that it won't be an issue because of the commonality.

@Manatee Diver if you have the signature set, call D6 and they will likely send you a service kit for free. Their customer service is great. @cerich was very patient with me and very helpful.

My regs are all made in Italy.
I did say "MOST all" :)
they are a small company with a very very limited dealer network
That is beginning to change, there are a few dealers being set up in further parts of the world
But outside the US, due to travel or living, it will be a concern.
Again, that has always been a concern to D6. The plan was always to expand to cover more areas especially with regard to shipping costs, service support etc.
I want to be able to drop my regs at ZG and pick them up the next afternoon.
Well, in my case I have had mine serviced by our local dive shop on several occasions, just given them the kits and the regs and no problem. D6 policy is that ANY qualified service technician can work on their regs without any warranty issues. From a legal standpoint, I BELIEVE that they have also been quite helpful in sending "Service Tech Certification" to shop techs who have asked, without much of an issue.

Here, the legal requirement is that the equipment be serviced "as per manufacturer requirements". Since ScubaPro and Aqualung and all the others stipulate "only techs with our certificate" on their websites and in their manuals, that becomes the legal requirement. D6 states quite the opposite, so I printed that part out from their site and took it to my local shop, he put it on file with all his other certs and boom, no issue.

@cerich and @LandonL have been very helpful in getting far-flung customers sorted with service support, so I am sure there is a simple way to get a local tech certified / legally covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom