Deep 6 Makara Prototype Drysuit first experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's been a while already since I bought a Deep 6 Makara prototype directly from Deep 6.
SOLD If you are the right size and want a screaming deal on a drysuit
Before I forget to do so, I thought I post a quick first impression.
Disclaimer: Don't know much yet, my Drysuit dive experience is just the class (already a few weeks back) plus one extra dive (live interfered for a while, still does) So I keep it short:

The drysuit is great. Why? I staid dry. The guys from the LDS I took the class with all thought it is a good suit. They ought to know.

I on the other hand am not so great. Still struggling to get in and out by myself, especially getting out, over the head... and getting in, getting the neck seal (latex) all properly sorted out around the neck.

Diving it was of course "different". The first dive I struggled a bit with floaty feet, but trimming out differently for the second dive made a huge difference.

The color of the prototype upper is a pretty bright orange. I wouldn't call it neon orange, but some might. That color I hear has changed for the production version more towards red (and I think there is just black also). But, actually, I came to like it. I call it VDO.
Visibility Doubling Orange.

That P-valve: Did not dare going there yet... all I know is I stayed dry...

BTW, those guys from the LDS are great guys too. I expected to get a bunch of chaff for having bought a used suit not through them, when taking the class. Not so. They even had an inflator hose of about the right length (maybe 30") I could borrow. The one that was supposed to be with the suit was not and the one deep 6 sent in its place arrived in time, but turned out to be a 16" or so regulator hose (yeah, the DRIS guys had a little fun with that). And the hose I then hastily borrowed from my son's reg-set ( his BCD size is small) was too short as well. It might have just worked in a pinch over the shoulder, but no good under arm (instructors preference). I was thinking going with the inflator on my slung pony but the instructor's aim (good guy, right thought) was to minimize complexity for that first dive especially and leave that pony off. And they had brought that hose, so, all good. Excellent actually.

So in that case, great thanks to Deep 6 and to DRIS!

It was quite a sight, you trying to wriggle out of that neck seal! VDO is right. It's eye blinding!

UPDATE:
Ran into Chris and Todd from deep6 today at a MissionTech event. Ended up getting that drysuit inflator hose after all. Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom