Deep Blue Utila trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nstead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU! to Steve, Jasmine, Shirley, and all the other staff at Deep Blue Resort.

GLUG is a Gay & Lesbian Scuba club, based in the UK. It's often difficult to find resorts in the Carribbean which have great facilities and great diving, but where there is no homophobia. From my first contact with Deep Blue, it was clear that our sexuality simply wasn't an issue with them - there are far more important things in life to worry about - like the state of the planet's oceans, for example!

This was one of the biggest and most complex trips that GLUG has organised - we had a total of 35 divers over a 2-week stay, most staying for 1 week, but a few of us from the UK staying for the full 2 weeks. As well as 9 divers from the UK, we also had divers that we'd invited from other Gay & Lesbian clubs in Florida, California, and France.

Deep Blue were incredibly patient and helpful with the organisational side of things - dealing with a total of over 40 seperate payments via national and international bank transfers, and credit cards, and special thanks go to Shirley, who organised the Internal flights for us, despite people flying in to Utila from three different Honduran airports on two different dates!

The facilities at the resort were just as advertised on the website - so often, you arrive somewhere and discover that the website shows only the very best rooms, or that the photos were taken many years ago, and things have since deteriorated. This was definitely not the case here. The rooms are bright, with hammocks on the balconies, aircon that works, comfortable beds, and ensuite bathrooms with hot showers.

The diving was excellent. We had three great dive guides: Mike, Jess, and Orlando, as well as Steve on some dives. Another pet gripe of mine is that at some resorts, even experienced divers are herded around underwater like sheep. Not the case here, at all. Every dive was preceded by a good briefing, giving details of the underwater topology; the things we were likely to see; and any specific things (seahorses, etc.) that they would point out, if we chose to follow them. Following them was not a requirement however, and many of us enjoyed the freedom of just being able to dive as a buddy pair and explore for ourselves. That's not to say that they didn't keep a careful eye on the less experienced divers among us, however, and offer assistance under- and above water where needed.

The dive sites themselves were varied - on the north side of the island are big walls and dropoffs, while to the south is a typical fringing reef, but with some interesting canyons and swimthroughs. We also visited a couple of interesting wrecks, the largest of which was sunk about 8 years back, specifically as a Dive site.

One of my favourite dives, though, was "Black Hill". This is a sea mount about a mile off the island, with its top at around 25 feet (8m), and its base at 100 feet(30m) plus. Our skipper, Swin, had no problem finding it, even though there is no surface buoy. Because the mount is away from the island, there were fish that we hadn't seen elsewhere, including a huge school of Spadefish. I also saw an Eagle Ray, Barracuda, a resident Toadfish, and three Hawksbill turtles (including a baby!).

There are no currents to speak of in Utila - Steve told us that a Utilian drift dive is one where the divers swim in one direction, and the skipper moves the boat!

Each day, the resort staff would take our kit down to the boat in the morning, and in the evening, they would take it back, and wash it. Those of us staying for 2 weeks were offered boat dives on the changeover day, Saturday, but we decided to give the dive crew a rest, and opted to do a couple of shore dives instead. Our dive kit was taken down to the beach for us, and collected again after the dives - we really didn't have to lift a finger.

(BTW, the shore diving is easy - there is a single sand channel that cuts through the reef wall, near to the resort, so finding your way back home is easy. We saw Eagle Rays and Turtles on the shore dives).

Deep Blue are clearly passionate about protecting the environment - each guest is given a single water bottle for their stay - but it can be refilled whenever needed from the supply in the lounge - thus helping to slow the creation of a plastic mountain on Utila (which has no facilities to recycle the bottles). Likewise, a proportion of the water used by guests comes from rainwater, which is collected in huge gutters around the buildings, and stored in underground tanks.

A special mention must go to Shirley, who was tireless in tracking down missing luggage. Missing luggage is a problem when flying to Utila - it rarely disappears altogether, but quite often loses its way for a day or two. One of our divers missed a flight connection on the way, at which point he parted company with his bags. Shirley spent hours on the phone to the local airlines, to Teca, and to Continental - at various points during the week, it was reported as being in San Pedro Sula, in Roatan, or still in Houston. Eventually she tracked it down, and got it to the island the day before we all left!. At least he had clean clothes to travel home in! I'm sure without Shirley's help it would still be sitting in a baggage claim somewhere!

Steve, Jasmine, and Shirley were great hosts, and we whiled away many an evening in the bar, exchanging dive stories with Steve (he had far more than any of us!), or watching DVDs or Videos about Whalesharks, many of which he'd been involved in making...

...unfortunately, we only got to see one whaleshark in the whole two weeks. This was not for want of trying - and there were several occassions when Swin (the skipper) spotted a boil, but it disappeared by the time we got there. A couple of times we even saw a shark from the surface, but it dived as we arrived, and didn't come back.

Still, I did manage to get a photo of the one we saw, and the reef diving was good enough that few people were too upset. Perhaps we'll have to come back again!

All in all, a really great holiday, and I one I would recommend.

Hey Nstead Great trip report..........and I could not have said it better myself....Shirley had sent me a brief message telling me how much fun your group was and how I woudl've had a blast w/ you all.........LOL

Swin is a wonderful captain........finds the most perfecting diving spot for the day....glad to hear you all had such a great time! Shirley is so wonderful isn't she?

*smile*

Diva

nstead,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the trip report.
sounds like y'all had a perfect holiday.
what about food and accommodations?
what were your options?
regards,

Smokey Sunday you get a menu for the week and have a choice of Salad, choice of 3 or 4 dinner entrees.....breakfast and lunch are normally served bu ffet style....

the choices are normally a fish, chicken, beef or pork choice....

rooms are equipped w/ king, 2 singles or 2 doubles....all very comfortable, very clean....and spacious..each room has a private deck...w/ table and chairs..and a hammock.........

I'm trying to figure out a way to go back again in the fall for another 2 weeks....also do my advanced w/ Deep Blue then as well....

Nstead, nice report. My husband and I were there last July with R.E.E.F. (www.reef.org). It was one of the best dive vacations I've ever had. You were right on about Steve, Jasmin and Shirley and the whole crew (isn't Swin a piece of work?) and the accomodations, diving, food and service. This is a first class operation all the way. I would also like to chip in my two bubbles in recommending Deep Blue Utila.

Our luggage was also misplaced by the airlines and Shirley worked her customary magic to get it to us within 48 hours.

Hi

All I can say is ''THANK YOU'' for such a glowing report, also from CoyKoi, thank you , it is always a pleasure to hear from people to know our hard work is paying off.

One thing I will say, the GLUG group was a pleasure to have here, they will always be welcome.

CoyKoi we have another REEF group coming here in October, it will be great fun.

Ohh what better than a week of great fish nerds, I really enjoy it.

I'm gonna keep my summary very brief:

Stayed at Colibri Hill resort: www.colibri-resort.com - Excellent!

Dived with DeepBlue: www.deepblueutila.com - Superb, wouldn't dive with any other operation on the island....and they have the best whale shark captain on the Island -respect to Gringo!!

Social life? Dived four times a day, ate then slept - that's what I was there for ;o)

If you wanna see what the diving is like, check out my vid on www.myspace.com/shurford

PS - bring some kick-*** sand fly repellant - but really!!

Black Hills is definitely the place. Don't complain about only seeing one whale shark, in 8 trips to the Bay Islands I have not seen even one.

I might have spoken to Jasmine, cause I remember someone saying thre had been a gay group out there. Well I hope all of you raised hell and drank every bottle of beer you could find.

Thanks for the kind words Steve, the vid turned out good...I told you it would make a difference if you had a charged battary LOL

All the guys at the shop enjoyed having you on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom