Deep hole in resevoir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan on being as careful and thumbing the dive at the first sign of anything that seems hinky.
When I checked with the TRWD I made sure it wasn't an intake or anything connected to the dam.
I plan on a lot more research before even beginning to plan a dive.
It is unusual enough to merit a lot of extra caution.

:):):)Steve, that might be a good way to go- although I am not sure I would want you as a friend. :)

I made sure it wasn't an intake
Good plan....

There's a lake here that has a naturally occurring sump and no one exactly knows where the water goes - except the river a couple miles away is a likely guess. It's all silty and murky so no one is eager to find out. I have not dove there but I understand there's a small but persistent current taking things down. It makes sense as there's a spring feeding it yet it never gets deeper.

Plan for some level of loose mud/silt to be kicked up when near the bottom. Lakes don't clear quickly when the bottom is disturbed.

If it was a quarry, it is entirely possible that there was a sump so that any water drained to that point.

A very brief search shows Eagle Mountain Lake was created by damming the Trinity River back in 1928. I saw no mention of a quarry operation on the sote, but I need to do a lot more research. I have no idea why they picked that location so it's possible there was a small quarry before they dammed the river.

You also might check to see if you can find a USGS topo map that dates to prior to the construction of the lake. Those maps have both natural and man-made elements on them. Although, with a lake that old (first impounded in the 30's), finding a USGS map that old might be tough.

Fortunately I like history. The research itself will be fun and interesting.
This area had several Army Air Force facilities and airstrips back around WWII. I found some of the building foundstions are still visible. I was looking into that history a few years ago because my grandfather started at Air Force Bomber Plant #4 in 1941.

Back
Top Bottom