Deep outdoors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw DOD's about two years ago at Lauderdale by the Sea Scubafest. They seem well made and have a lot of accessories. I've since seen them in several dive shops. They are one of several good bcd companies. You can check them out at www.deepoutdoors.com

The company was started a few years ago by some ScubaPro renegades - not the first time that has happened. The company is proficient at marketing and has a reputation for decent quality, my only complaint is that their gear is designed to look technical without actually committing the offense of being technical. On the other side of the coin, many consider that a good thing.

I own a deep outdoors matrix which I do like very much. I seems to have a ton of flexibility and is ultra comfy. My only complaint is that it is a little on the bulky side though it does not feel like it in the water. I recently removed the backplate from it and have since set up your normal backplate and harness. Diving it both ways is great and I am not sure which one I like best. I am looking forward to getting to diving the backplate somewhere other than the pool at the local dive shop.

So, what kind of diving does your wife do, or plan to do? Warm, cold, wreck? My wife uses a Zeagle Ranger for up here, and a Zeagle Scout for warm water travels.

DrSteve:
Any thoughts or opinions on this brand? I'd never heard of them before.

Thanks,

Steve

But I know a little about the Branding.

K

:D

Does anyone have direct experience diving the Deepoutdoors 40lb wing? I would like to know your impression about it. I dive using mostly al80 singles but would also like to be able to use it for doubles. Is it overkill for singles? Does the wing wrap around the tank? Thanks in advance?

Will definately taco a single but is a great wing for doubles, have a couple of them and love them for doubles but to much for singles.

Any wing built to accommodate doubles will taco around a single cylinder. The most accommodating one I know of is the Dive Rive Rec wing ... because it has the bungee running along the inside of the wing that lets you adjust the wing's "footprint". However, even that one isn't as efficient as getting a wing designed for your configuration.

Unless you're willing to accept the compromised efficiency, I'd recommond getting a singles wing and a doubles wing.

Depending on your size and buoyancy needs, I've used a couple of great single-tank wings. The Dive Rite Venture wing has 30-lb lift. Oxycheq's 45-lb wing is also great for singles. Both of these wings are built with a long, narrow footprint that will not taco around a single tank.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for your help. They market the wing as both good for singles and doubles but I was skeptical of the claim. Your responses confirmed my skepticiscm. I take it then it is a quality wing which would be good for diving double Al80's or some of the smaller steel cylinders, but not very good for singles.

It works, but it's not ideal. If you still think you'd like one, I've got one with about 15 freshwater dives here that I'll sell you for cheap.

For singles, I went with an Oxycheq, and Doubles I went to a Halcyon Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom