Deep Sea 6.5 John+Jack vs Aqualung Solafx 8mm/7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using Deep Sea 6.5mm John+Jack rental wetsuit. They are never really that comfortable in terms of mobility, warm, don and doff. I am thinking buying myself a Aqualung Solafx 8/7mm webuit. I wonder how good the SolAfx compare to the Deep Sea combo in terms of warmness and mobility. My main concern is warmness because with Deep See, I have 13mm for torso and Aqualung only has 8mm. Does anyone have experience with these wetsuits?

I mainly dive in Monterey CA, so water is pretty cold. In mid summer, surface temperature is in low 50s. Is Aqualung is good choice?

I orderd my 8/7 SolaFX suit last week, should be here this week. I used to dive the same set up you do - then went to a henderson 7mm and they were the same - I have been really reading all the comments and talking with dive instructors (they spend a lot of time in the water) about the solaFX - some are going from a dry suit to this suit because it is fast to get in and out of(compaired to a dry suit). I will be using mine wreck diving in the great lakes. I have pockets waiting to get glued on and then down I go. Temps currently run low 60s at the surface to low 40's at 130+. I will let you know how it goes after I go... I think (from what I have learned) it will be a good choice.

How did you make out with the Solafx suit? I'm looking at buying one myself right now and am interesting in hearing some real life accounts.

I'd be curious to know as well. There's a local store with the the solafx on sale and it's caught my eye.

The SolaFlex - I am very happy with the suit so far. Let me tell you a couple of events with the suit; When I don't do regular sport diving, I go metal detecting in water ranging to about 20 ft, FW. The air temp was 19 degrees F, the water temp was 37 F. 10 ft - 14 ft depth. I was in there for an hour, at 45 min my hands started to get cold first, I wore the gauntlet glove, then my feet. Booties were the Aqualung 6mm. I wore a lycra rash guard under all. My body never got cold except at the inital walk into the water, it came up my legs very - very slowly, there was no shock like I hat with my henderson 7mm jump suit. The sensation was gone by the time I put my head in. With my other suits I did not want to raise my arms, the cold would always find a way to curculate - not at all with the SolaFlex. When I got out of the water the air temp improved - 20 degrees F! My regulator froze open very quickly. I did not want to change out into street clothes, I was very warm and changing was in open air.
Second story - Again search and recovery in Lake Geneva Wisconsin late fall. Water temp was 47 degrees air temp was just above freezing, clear. depth was again 12 - 15 feet. This was a dive from a boat yet near shore. Two of us were searching for 1 hour on a search patern, my partner had to call the dive on cold. He is a dive master / instructor (7mm jump suit with hood, gloves, boots & lycra rash guard). He is The shop owner that got my suit for me. Again, I was very toasty warm, his statement to me -"I am going to get one of those....(refering to my suit)".
These dives were not to neoprien crushing depth so right now I can not comment on deeper performance - but you kneed to know that in these dives I move very - very slow and do not generate much body heat at all. The second dive I removed my fins, strap them to my BC and walk or kneel on the bottom.
I also purchase two glue on thigh pockets and they turned out very well and very usefull, one pocket gets my rescue items, the other my tools, slate and what ever I can jam in there and still get to. Right now my life support equipment is out for service for the winter, I am not an ice diver yet. I expect this early spring we will dive the Wisconsin wreck at 130 feet and about 37 - 40 degrees F, this will be the real world dive test for the suit. I can tell you my 7mm jump suit kept me warm for about 15 min at 70 in 48 degree water but I did not want to move my arms at all, that rush was almost painfull.
I recomend the Aqualung Polarzip boots with this suit, 6mm! Very Very nice boot indeed. Sorry for the spelling, got to get ready for my day job now, time to reread this is just not there. I feel you can not go better unless you go dry, I do not know of a better cold water wet suit that is still in production or I would have purchased it.

I am at work now - HaHaHa... There are a few down sides to this SolaFlex I should point out to be fair; the nylon is not the type that will stand up to velcro, the shoulders have that "Pilling" going on after only a few dives. This is from my BC. I will make adjustment to the BC to keep this from getting out of control. Henderson 7mm suit fairs well in the velcro battle.
A custom SolaFlex suit (I think) would be better than the off the shelf model. I am 5-10" / (5-11" on a good day), I weigh in at 195. I purchased an XL suit, it fits me well but I could see if I had larger arms there could be a fit problem, at the start and end of the sipper area the arms have little give. The mobility is not the problem just the sizing, like I said, if I had big guns there may be a problem there. The suit over all fits me real good and there is no problems with mobility, my 7mm is a little more stiff. The 7mm is also an XL. I was concerned about the leg & arm water dams, they seem small compaired to others on the market but so far in shallow water they are a "non issue". When I doff'ed my wet suit, I was really very dry - again compaired to my 7mm suit the improvment was a big one.
I also had to add 4 lbs of ballest to get slightly negative allowing decent from the surface.
I feel there is no replacment for going dry, but again there is a skill and cash that will need to be traded to go dry and not all of us can find that in the budget. This coming springs deeper cold dives will determine weither I need to budget a dry suit.

I hope this helps and I really want to tell you, along with the SolaFlex and the Polarzip 6mm boots I am very happy :D and with out a thought I would recomend them as a set to anyone that can not budget a dry set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom