deep sea detective show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think when folks slag the faces on the screen they are forgetting that the faces aren't the ones writing the script or running the show. It's the people behind the camera that are responsible for what is seen and usually the faces don't have much input on the final product that makes it to air.

Gilldiver:
If you realy want to know what caused the S-5 to sink, and what the Navy did on the wreck, go to this site:

http://thesaltysailor.com/s-boats/salvrept.htm

I transcribed the salvage report from some very poor copies that Gary Gentile found in the National Archives back in the late 80's or early 90's. It is quite a good read when you consider what was known about decompression at the time and the fact that all the dives were made in Mark V heavy gear.

Also, look at the internal photo's for the S-4, I got those out of the Sub Museum in Groton CT.

Finaly, get a copy of "On the Bottom" by Edward Elsberg. It is the salvage of the S-51 and will curl your toes whith some of the diving exploits that they did, and lived to tell about.

Pete Johnson

Thanks Pete,

Your post is of the quality I seek on SB!

I’m afraid to ask if any of you remember the TV series “Sea Hunt” with Lloyd Bridges. I never missed an episode. At first I thought Miami CSI was going to do some scuba diving when they first came on. How many seasons now? Not one underwater seen yet. I don’t know of the show you’re talking about, it must be on cable. It sounds like more of the hammy acting and directing that has consumed 80 to 90 percent of television today.
I always watch all the underwater documentaries. The world down there is fascinating. I think a good underwater suspense series with good acting and directing would be a hit. Even if they got the copyright from “Sea Hunt” and redid some of those old episodes. It would be far better than what is on TV today.
I’ve never been scuba diving. I never came up with the time or the money. I do enjoy watching it on TV.
Don

I don't watch deep sea detectives to learn history, although a little of that is nice. I really enjoyed the dive in Egypt though. I've caught a couple of details that were incorrect, but if it's an education in history you're looking for, check out the library. I'm waiting for a remake of Divers Down myself.

The Horn:
They also tooted the Andrea Doria as the second greatest loss next to the Titanic. I find that way out in left field given other wrecks such as the Empress of Ireland and the William Gustoff etc etc

I almost choked on my coffee after reading this. Sometimes I am very glad to be living in Japan so I don't get to see BS like this on TV.

Anyway, after reading this I thought I might dig up some old data of mine for anyone who's interested in some of the REAL worst disasters of maritime history.

(BTW, I know I'm missing a couple here and there)

Ship Year Casualties
Goya 1945 7000 .est
Gustloff Wilhelm 1945 5700 .est
Cap Arcona 1945 4650
Lancastria 1940 4000 .est
General Stueben 1945 3500 .est
Yamato 1945 3033
Dona Paz 1987 3000 .est
Thielbeck 1945 2750
Sultana 1865 2000 .est
Mont Blanc 1917 1900 .est
Arisan Maru 1944 1800 .est
Titanic 1912 1522
Lusitania 1915 1198
Arizona 1941 1177
Mutsu 1943 1121
Don Juan 1980 1000 .est

Andrea Doria 1956 46

B-24:
I’m afraid to ask if any of you remember the TV series “Sea Hunt” with Lloyd Bridges. I never missed an episode. At first I thought Miami CSI was going to do some scuba diving when they first came on. How many seasons now? Not one underwater seen yet. I don’t know of the show you’re talking about, it must be on cable. It sounds like more of the hammy acting and directing that has consumed 80 to 90 percent of television today.
I always watch all the underwater documentaries. The world down there is fascinating. I think a good underwater suspense series with good acting and directing would be a hit. Even if they got the copyright from “Sea Hunt” and redid some of those old episodes. It would be far better than what is on TV today.
I’ve never been scuba diving. I never came up with the time or the money. I do enjoy watching it on TV.
Don

you're showing your age.
But then, I didn't miss one either. And what about the "Aquanauts"?

I think the show would have done alot better if it were more centered on the diving, and a little less on history. When i watch it i fastforward through most of the history stuff.

Hey, although I am more a fan of Bernie and Last Dive than the other two Gods of the german sub saga, I saw one episode of deepsea detectives regarding alexandria. Yes it was short, but for entertainment value, I found it as fascinating as sea hunt (means I liked it and would watch more episodes if I had the chance).

I went online to see if I can buy the series on dvd, and goshgolly, each episode seems to cost $25. So, I aint shelling out that kind of cash.

I think the series did poorly cause of lack of advertisement and the timeslot. I mean, look how well american choppers is still doing!

Anyway, I am interested in tonka's oppinions, too. I may PM you tonka, to learn more of your oppinions. Like I said, I luv'd Last Dive, and thought Shadow Divers was not as well written (even though Last Dive is still riddled with minor typos). I think PM would be better rather than having negative oppinions etched in stone on SB from me or you regarding the other two sub Gods.

Even though I have a tendency to lean towards an agreement wtih Tonka's views (oppinions) about some discrepencies of presented historical facts, I am not going as far to discount K and C's great achievements or the entertainment value of their work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom