Deep Sea Supply Back plate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skyflyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got back from Cozumel to do my OWC and AOWC and used my brand new DSS BP/W. I used my rented Tusa Eliminator Sigma to finish my OWC and AOWC, but shortly afterward used the new DSS BP/W I also brought down with me. I can say without hesitation, that I highly recommend this style of BC as well as the DSS brand. It took a bit of time to set up, due to the degree to which I tweaked it to fit me personally, however once it was set up according to DIR/GUE standards and my body shape, I will probably never go back to a traditional wing. It is sooo comfortable and unhindering by comparison. Tobin nailed the exact plate and wing size for the warm water (84*) I did there. Truly, at most I needed 4# of weight with a 3mm wet suit shorty. However, I only dove with skins, so in the end, I needed no weight at all, properly set up with 500# in the tank, a full breath of air and no air in the wing at the surface. I went with the stainless steel medium plate and 17# wing. It was perfect for warm water diving. It was so perfect that now I need to call him back to order a cold water bp/w for my drysuit diving in the PNW! Way to go, Tobin. You've got a new customer. The only issue is that I could have used an inflator that was 2" longer, but even that was not a huge deal (prior rotator cuff injuries cause flexiblity issues in my shoulders).

Glad to hear the gear worked out. Regarding the length of the corrugated hose; I recommend giving it a few more dives. As long as you can turn your head and orally inflate it's long enough. No doubt it seems short, compared to the typical BC. Many think they need a longer hose at first, but after a ~dozen dives discover they do not.

Tobin

Roger that, Tobin! Will probably also take a bit of time to tidy things up some. After all, I'm used to straps and the inflator dancing all over the place with that vest BC I was using...never again!

When I first got me DSS wing I too thought the inflator hose was too short. I was transitioning from both Seaquest (AquaLung) and Dive Right Which both had longer inflator hoses. The more I used my shorter inflator hose on my DSS wing the more I appreciated its length. I agree with Tobin...keep using the inflator as designed and I think you too will appreciate it.

I recall a story about someone showing up at GUE Fundies class, and during the initial gear check being told by the instructor that his corrugated hose was too long. It seems the DIR folks do prefer a shorter hose.

Picked up a DSS kit for my wife about 2 weeks ago and after getting it all setup, I must say, it's the most well thought out BP/W setup I've ever seen. The rubber inserts on the bottom/waist slots are awesome, no need for bolts anywhere, all comes apart easily, etc......I decided to sell off my halcyon stuff and buy one for myself as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom