Deep sea wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilDog3/7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a chance to buy a 26lb wing made by Deep Sea Supply is it a good quality wing, I'm also looking at a brand new Oxycheq wing the Deep sea is only $165 and the Oxycheq is $275. I need a new wing since my scubapro Xtec sprung a leak any help would be appreciated.:confused:

One thing to look at is where the LPI hose attaches. If it is in the center of the wing (some DSS wings do this, and perhaps others too), it conflicts with the first stage/tank valve. That is an "inconvenience" that you should evaluate if it is okay with what you want.....

DSS wings are built well, but it is something I dislike in the one I own...

One thing to look at is where the LPI hose attaches. If it is in the center of the wing (some DSS wings do this, and perhaps others too), it conflicts with the first stage/tank valve. That is an "inconvenience" that you should evaluate if it is okay with what you want.....

DSS wings are built well, but it is something I dislike in the one I own...

I just bought a DSS "Torus 26" wing, and the inflator connection is in the center. It remains to be discovered whether it interferes with my first stage as some have complained. It can't be a problem for everyone, or DSS wouldn't sell any, right?

I own a DSS 26# Torus.
Excellent wing. Built-in single tank "adapter", great OPV, minima listing/streamlined.

Re: hose on center
This has never been an issue that affects any aspect of my diving.
It touches the 1st stage on my setup, but thats about it. Doesn't make a difference when actually diving with it.

We own several DSS wings. I've never had a problem with the takeoff being in the center. Their wings are well made and customer service from DSS is excellent.

In my opinion the Oxycheq is a better built wing. The cover material and the bladder are much thicker with the Oxycheq. Also with the Oxycheq the bladder can be removed from the wing and patched or replaced. On the DSS, the wing needs to be sent back to DSS to have the seems ripped open to replace the bladder and then be sewn shut again. This can be a concern because you are in a foreign country and shipping (and maybe customs) would be expensive.

The DSS wing is a better wing to travel with because it can be folded and packs down smaller that the Oxycheq. The Oxycheq material is stiff.

DSS wings are rather unusual. For example, they are the only company I know of that still makes horseshoe single tank wings with replaceable bladders (the LCD series). Most if not all other wing manufacturers have gone to a doughnut style wing. Zeagle does use a horseshoe wing on the Express Tech but that wing does not have a replaceable bladder. They are also the only manufacturer that I know of that makes a doughnut wing with a sewn shut bladder, every other manufacturer has a zipper to access the inner bladder.

At $165 for a new wing the DSS is a deal less so for the Oxycheq.

I am sure you will get plenty of responses but I would also take what you read with a grain of salt. There are certain people on SB that are DSS cheerleaders and Oxycheq detractors. Some are insiders and have a closer relationship to the owner than a regular customer would. Of course these people get preferential treatment.

I have been diving Oxycheq wings for some years. I own 3 of them. They have proven to be very reliable. I really like the narrowness of the wings and how they "hug" the tank. I do replace all the faux corrugated hoses with real ones and I also switch out the OPV for the DSS ones as they are more heavy duty in my opinion.

The Oxy wing does not require the use of an STA unless you are using a plate where the cam band cut outs don't line up. If you are using a SP theslots do line up with the Oxy wing.

Customer service from Oxycheq has been reported to often be non existent but as long as you buy from a reputable dealer you should have no issues if any problems arise. I'd suggest you contact Cave Adventurers or ScubaToys both offer great prices and great service.

DSS on the other hand has a reputation for phenomenal service.

The price on the DSS wing is a very good price. You won't go wrong with either. Like most things in diving it's down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision.

I do not like wings with the center inflator connection. It just does not work for me. However, if the price is good and it is in the condition you expect it could be a good deal for you. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom