Deep Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acwest

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So one conclusion that seemed apparent from the discussion of Big Bay Point, and the problems with the site, is that we need more locations with decent deep shore dives. Ideally, of course, they should be close to Toronto. The problems with Big Bay Point are insufficient parking, excessive boat traffic, and unhappy locals. The locals would probably be happier if it weren't for the parking thing, admittedly. Does anybody know of good sites? It doesn't really matter if there is anything to see, as BBP makes it clear that if you dive it, stuff will come :D

Cedar Hill in Wiarton can get you beyond Rec limits. It is farther away than BBP but is a decent dive.

Cedar Hill does require some swimming, I believe when we where there we where doing moderate swimming for 20 mins and only hit 125 feet.

Honesty there was nothing to see beyond 60 feet.. just straight mud the whole way down... Would rather make the drive another 40 mins and go to Toby :D

I agree that there is very little to see after 60' (a mailbox in about 80') however there is nothing with that depth in Toby that I am aware of.....not from shore anyways. The restriction that I was trying to work within was shore diving with depths simlar to BBP.

BUT, Cedar Hill is still not a bad dive if you start deep and then slowly work shallower from 60'. I have never taken longer than 10 minutes to reach 105' at a leisurely pace. To then take our time from 60' or so to shallower depths and then finish the dive is not a bad dive for me. I am pretty tolerant of repetetive/less exciting dives.

Being from the other side of TO I never thought of the St. Lawrence. I have only done one shore dive and it was on the US side. If you want what is supposed to be a great shore dive but a lobg drive....Lock 21. I have always wanted to do this but have never had the chance. Heck, I would likely go with you if ya went here :D.

Being from the other side of TO I never thought of the St. Lawrence. I have only done one shore dive and it was on the US side. If you want what is supposed to be a great shore dive but a lobg drive....Lock 21. I have always wanted to do this but have never had the chance. Heck, I would likely go with you if ya went here :D.

Lock 21 is good fun. Supposedly the river is still divable, PM if you need a buddy to go there this week-end :D

Although, in all honesty, I think it's too long a drive from TO to make it worth your time. In the summer you could do Lock 21, Lock 23, the Rothesay and a 2 tanks boat dive from Brockville in the same day to make it worth the drive.

I love diving, even in Southern Ontario but for most shore dives, there is nothing to see at almost any depth. Most of the sites I dive every year (from shore) all you really have is small crayfish and some very small fish. There are some exceptions but in this area, the diving is really done IMO for the love of diving and not for what is down there. Cedar Hill has the most to offer IMO for diversity and convenience.

Some really good (or convenient) shore dives with estimated depths (not necessarily max depth)....these depths may be off but I am going from memory and some back as far as 2 years ago:

- BBP (100' - I have never dove this site so this is my understanding only)
- Cedar Hill (60'-80' with tech depth theoretically available)
- The Gap/Anchor (70')
- The Lighthouse (60')
- The Tugs (60')
- Humber Bay (45')

Please correct this list or add to it for the OP's benefit.

I have spent hours reviewing nautical charts with depth readings and looking at google earth in a desperate attempt to try and come up with new shore diving locations. I have only come up with a couple which are not great sites. That which is publicly know, is for the most part all that is available to the public.

My point was, why dive to 100' to see nothing, when you can see nothing at 20'. Why bother going that deep?

Back
Top Bottom