Deep Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point was, why dive to 100' to see nothing, when you can see nothing at 20'. Why bother going that deep?

There are a few reasons to want to dive to 100', even to see nothing. The most understandable reason, I suppose, is training. I can only afford to go on so many boats in a year, but to keep my skills from rusting away to nothing, I need to get more bottom time than that. As when I do go on those boats, it is frequently to dive wrecks that are a long way down, I like to keep in practice. My less understandable reason is, I like it. It's a very different feeling, 100' below the surface. Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but I like it (I don't mean being narced, although it certainly adds to the experience :D )

There are very few spots in the GTA that offer shore access.

For those willing and able to travel two to three hours, the scenario is very different. Eastern Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence has several spots where divers can get wet without trespassing; a couple of them are close to wrecks which makes the swim worth the effort. Skeleton Lake in Muskoka has a couple of good shore dives, and there is limited access to water in several of the bigger lakes (Lake Joe, Lake Rosseau for example), but depth is limited geologically and by water conditions.

One does wonder why 30 metres / 100 feet is required to maintain skills though. Buoyancy and Trim are best practiced in shallower water. Movement/Position can be worked on in 5 metres or less. Situational Awareness starts to erode for most students as soon as their heads get underwater, but admittedly is greatly influenced by increased depth as well as other factors. Breathing and breath control can be improved at any depth and emotional control is tested by simulated emergencies, which again are best practiced in shallower water.

Thoughts?

I am not sure why everybody is so caught up on the depth issue. If somebody is a cowboy and wants the depth to show off, then I have an issue with it. Some Toby charters will not allow you onto a boat for certain dives unless you have a minimum of 10 dives in excess of 100' in the last 6 months. If your diving will ever take to 100'+ then I believe it is a good idea to get down there periodically to experience it and get used to it. I also think it is a good idea to work your way there slowly. People handle depth differently (not just narcosis) so it is good to acclimatize yourself to it (increased pressure around and on you, different sounds, less light, possible narcosis.....the psychological side of it). Yes these are just things that a diver needs to deal with it but I see nothing wrong with wanting to go down there a couple times a year just to keep it "fresh".

One does wonder why 30 metres / 100 feet is required to maintain skills though. Buoyancy and Trim are best practiced in shallower water. Movement/Position can be worked on in 5 metres or less. Situational Awareness starts to erode for most students as soon as their heads get underwater, but admittedly is greatly influenced by increased depth as well as other factors. Breathing and breath control can be improved at any depth and emotional control is tested by simulated emergencies, which again are best practiced in shallower water.

Thoughts?

I have to agree with Steve on this, and will add that if practicing skills is your intent, you'll have a lot more time to practice at 20ft then 100ft.

I get better practice at 20ft than I would any deeper.

Can someone explain why whenever that 4 letter word "DEEP" is in a posting it's like weaving a red flag in frount of a bull? A member of this site asked a simple question. Why does he have to explain or justifie to all of you, why he wants to dive "DEEP" (more that 30') I'm still licking the wounds from the abuse I took 6 months ago when I posted that I went down to 128'. If he or anyone is willing to accept the risks involved in diving to depths beyond 60' it's their business. He's a Divemaster with over 200 dives, I would hope that he is aware of the risks.

Can someone explain why whenever that 4 letter word "DEEP" is in a posting it's like weaving a red flag in frount of a bull? A member of this site asked a simple question. Why does he have to explain or justifie to all of you, why he wants to dive "DEEP" (more that 30') I'm still licking the wounds from the abuse I took 6 months ago when I posted that I went down to 128'. If he or anyone is willing to accept the risks involved in diving to depths beyond 60' it's their business. He's a Divemaster with over 200 dives, I would hope that he is aware of the risks.

While I am not saying anybody should have to explain themselves or be torn apart for words, I will personally say that a red flag DOES go up for me when I hear someone say they need to go deep. That is a good sign of a maverick diver who just wants to push the envelope and limits and is more likely to cut corners than a more conservative diver. It may also show a lack of experience or maturity in the diver. Not everybody that says it is an immature maverick though. Anybody that says to me "So how deep did you go" coming out of the water as if it is a competition automatically gets placed in the "I will never dive with you" corner. That is just me though.

In this case, I do not believe the OP is a maverick diver (or immature :wink:). I enjoy diving and do not HAVE to go deep to enjoy it. In fact, I enjoy it shallower anyways because I can stay longer. I do however see a true benefit, as stated before, to going into deeper waters periodically.

People asked questions and got answers and provided opinions. The OP is free to accept or reject those opinions as he sees fit. Nothing wrong with that. I do not think he has to lick any wounds from this thread.

ScubaSteve has pretty much given my reasoning for wanting a place to dive deep. There are certainly boats out there that want you to have recent deep experience before you can go on certain dives. Even if there weren't, I don't like the idea of going too long between deep dives. It really is a different environment down there, and I would rather knock the rust off on a dive that doesn't cost a lot of money, so when I AM paying, I can enjoy myself more.
Of course, the other reason I am looking for this is so we can find a replacement for Big Bay Point, seeing as it is apparent the locals there don't really want to have the divers around, and it is only a matter of time until they do something about it. The perpetual risk of the Evinrude Haircut at that location is a factor, as well...

When I recently completed a dive course, one of the skills that we needed to master was the 70' ascent. You don't need to be that deep to practice that skill but trying to master ascents and stops in 30' or less is difficult. I managed to get some time in with another diver completing a different course and he was having the same issues with the ascent & bottle rotation. Add to that the boating traffic at most shore sites in the Toronto-Barrie area, it was difficult to practice these skills without going back out to Kingston or Brockville. I agree that trim, buoyancy, technique, etc are best done in shallow water but there are times that deeper sites would be helpful.

There is a couple of nice deeper shore access dives in Tobermory. You can dive right in front of Trails End Lodge (ask permission if anyone is around). The depth there can get down to 130+ close to shore.

A little further down the road, there is a hydro right of way that leads right to the point where the green light is marking the entrance to the harbour. Again, it drops down well over 100' and is quite a pretty dive. I used to dive a lot there in the winter since it often wasn't completely frozen there.

Both of these sites are very exposed to northerly and easterly winds and can be tricky.

Also, the wall at Rockport is a great shore dive. I haven't been there for years, so perhaps a more local person can fill in the details.

And to reply to those questioning the "need" to go deep, I will just point out a couple of things. To many on here, 100' or so isn't really considered "deep". I was scrolling through my log last night in preparation for a trip, and of the 72 dives I did last season, only about 20 of these were shallower than 100'. I also don't dive "stupid/techie deep", but the majority of my dives are in the 110' - 180' range.

Also, to be blunt, the best wrecks ain't in 20 feet! Or 50'. Or 70'...

On the north side of Georgina island there are several nice dive locations this will involve taking the ferry over than driving to the north side were you will find plenty of isolated and quiet entry points.

Back
Top Bottom