Deep stops, Pyle stops, Gradient Factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew I'd seen the "half depth" stops before... Looks like NAUI is only a little over a year behind Scubaboard!
E. itajara

Not surprisingly, this is completely new news to me, but what an easy way to help yourself out! I hope NAUI doesn't mind if I steal it and incorporate it into my diving from here on out

Rachel

Is it ok so say "I told you so?"
Rick

About NAUI making it their standard ascent protocol, or just about "it" in general? I don't know of any of the other main stream agencies that use this yet, right?

Lets be real... there are a many a great theroies spoiled by one or two salient facts. You don't change an agency's SOP without thinking it through once or twice. What is easy to accept on a personal level takes a LOT more evidence and thought to accept at a corporate level. It would not be prudent to keep changing the SOP on a mere whim, now would it? Then we would be taught erroneous things, like there is a decompression benefit for horizontal safety stops and other such nonsense.

Gee whiz, Pete...
Ye're spoilin' all my fun!
Rick

These stops have been around for years!

Not only half the depth, but half the pressure too. Richard Pyle
is credited with Pyle Stops; you stop on the ascent for one minute at half the maximum pressure you were exposed to.

Use it on all deep dives, plus an extra couple of minutes at 6m (20ft)

Seadeuce

Seadeuce once bubbled...
Richard Pyle is credited with Pyle Stops; ..
Pyle says that he just rediscovered them. He mentions some other groups of commercial divers that had already discovered them. Then some cave divers rediscovered them, before NAUI rediscovered them.

I hope that NAUI stops become popular.

Charlie

This is good. I haven't always made a minute stop at half depth. As I 've gotten older, I 've made it a practice to stop for one minute at half depth anytime I go deeper than 60', which is pratically every dive. I then do my regular stop at 15'. It just seemed like a logical thing to do. I'm glad to hear that NAUI will be teaching this, maybe the other agencies will fall in line. :tree: Bob

Talking about nitrogen loading here on air. Lets say you have a max depth of 60' for 40min. Would it make sense to make stops at 50', 40', and so on instead of just a 5min safety stop. Or will some tissues continue to load making those stops obsolete. Hope this makes sense I'm horrible at explaining myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom