Deep Vein Thrombosis Status Post DCS type I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI Actually the ice is apart of their Environmental Control Unit which used to chill the air that pressurise the Hyperbaric Unit - not the Oxygen
The "ECU" (Environmental Control Unit) and container for the ice was a big plastic drink dispenser --like a gatorade drink container/cooler.

I've scanned the thread to see if this was posted and didn't see it. I found this interesting article regarding the body's immune responses to decompression sickness. What is of particular interest is how the body will form blood clots.

http://atlanticunderwater.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=9&Itemid=91

I think is might also be relevant for a possible explanation as to what happened to John Moore (Littlejohn)? I am no expert, and also not a tech diver, so yeah, speculation. But the article is interesting, even if most of it is beyond me as far as the medical stuff is concerned.

Your chamber looks like the one in Manado which I got to ride in last April 2008. 3 times. Very bad case of skin bends. One of the most painful things that has ever happened to me.

I read your other post explaining how you got hit. This comment might be best there, oh well, and it is certainly not meant as bashing, but just something I think people need to be reminded of: If you are bent, moving around and cleaning equipment, etc. is the worst thing you can do as the bubbles can rise, move to the brain, lungs, etc. It is imperative to remain flat on your back as much as possible, even during transport/being moved from a boat to ambulance, whatever.

I have done a lot of research the past few months regarding the bends, and PFOs (as I have one, waiting for repair, and desperate to get wet!), and the point about remaining flat was something I really hadn't known (or really remembered) before my research. Hence the reason I would like to mention it here.

I hope you are recovering well.

Last edited:
I've become less and less impressed with d-dimer for very much of anything. It just has such a poor positive predictive value. Of course, my dealings with it have been in the context of pit viper envenomations, and all it does is shake the treatment team up. If I had my way (which I don't, in the era of universal precautions) I'd use a lee-white clotting test or even a more basic test: invert the red-stoppered tube every minute until you get a stationary clot. Sorry about the digression, but d-dimers are a little unproven for my comfort.

That is a very interesting article.

The inflammatory process is getting indicted for more and more pathology these days.

Back
Top Bottom