Deep6 Signature or Aqualung Legend LX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh boy!
Personally I do not have a problem with Aqualung, they are a mainstream supplier of good quality equipment with somewhat self serving prohibitive policies, but what big corporation doesn’t?
What I don’t like is their ACD. It smells like something Boeing would cook up, and I like Boeing but they allowed marketing and shareholder interests to overwhelm sound and safe engineering.
The Aqualung recreational (bulk) market is turning toward self sealing first stages so we need one, now!
The design and R&D department don’t carry out sufficient HAZOP studies to identify that the first stage ACD can shut off gas if not torqued correctly.
Oops, the design is a patent infringement anyway Oh well, rather than find a better way to do it lets just turn the whole thing upside down so it gets around the patent?!
Nope, not the way I want my life support equipment designed.
But apart from the ACD everything also so far has been OK.

I had used an very old AL legend extensively for a period of time. My usual environment involve entry/exit at very sandy beaches, I can't say I have issue with the adjustment knob getting still. it is very robust and reliable. However, I didn't like the overall adjustment mechanism. There isn't a separate venturi switch like other, as you adjust inhalation know, the venturi adjust accordingly in an linear ratio fashion. It is unnecessary complicated. Not sure if the newer one improve upon that.

Having that said, I would not buy Al legend brand new. It is too expansive. Top of the line reg doesn't necessary perform better than mid of the road model. this would be where I would look. Deep6 definitely give you better bang for the buck, you just have to factor in your service and support logistics, or you have to learn to DIY. But hearing your local dive shop's business practice, I really think you should get tool and learn DIY regardless of what you are getting.

I would go with the Deep 6 hands down. I do not own Deep 6 regs but I have used them many times. I was using @RainPilot 's regs for singe tank, twin set and Sidemount until I got a deal on DiveRite Sidemount regs I could not pass up. ($275 for a full set with 6 dives on them)

Having dived them a bunch now, I want to go back to Deep 6. I like the way they breathe better so as soon as I heal up and can get back to teaching and making more money, I will be decking myself out in all Deep 6 regs for every setup I have. Not to mention the Deep 6 fins, wetsuit and rash guard I have.

They make high quality products at a lower cost to the consumer and their customer service is on par with Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom