Deep6 vs Hogd1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about giving these a shot. Honestly I don't have a "need" but I want to replace my Hogs for a couple of reasons. First I think they are good and I still recommend then but I have two gripes. They give me crazy jaw fatigue. It's literally the only 2nd that ive had this issue with in my 24yrs of diving. I know it's a personal thing and not really a design flaw so I don't blame the regs for this. But the second is unacceptable. My Hogs breath wetter than any other Reg I've used. I understand breathing wet when inverted but this is a full mouthful in positions in which it shouldn't occur.

On the other hand, the Edge Epic feels cheap but is my favorite by far. Extremely comfortable and great breather. I love these regs!!!

So basically I had planned on replacing my original Hogs with the D3/Zenith or maybe just the Zenith. My 1st stage is fine. How do these compare? Any of the same issues with the Deep6?

Last edited:
AFAIK @cerich from @Deep Six was heavily involved in the design of the HOG regs, his regs are a similar design to the HOG but with his improvements added.

No one seems to have had anything but good to say about the Deep Six regs on this board so far, I know it's early days but there is a serious pedigree there.

AFAIK @cerich from @Deep Six was heavily involved in the design of the HOG regs, his regs are a similar design to the HOG but with his improvements added.

No one seems to have had anything but good to say about the Deep Six regs on this board so far, I know it's early days but there is a serious pedigree there.

That's why I was a little hesitant. Cerich is a stand-up guy and I have no concerns about him. But I was wondering if these are essentially Hogs dressed up a little different. From the little research I've done it looks like a different reg.

He will give the full picture I'm sure. Never held a HOG reg, can't stop touching my Deep6 regs.

In a manly way of course.

:date:

Found this thread where Chris discusses some of the technical details
Deep 6 Gear Review.....Fins and Regs..

Last edited:
The best way I have found to avoid jaw fatigue is to use an Apeks Comfort Bite mouthpiece. Make sure it is an Apeks or Aqualung Comfort Bite as the generic ones are too flimsy. The early Hog second stages had no raised rim around the exhaust that could cause wet breathing in current, later ones had this raised rim. The new Deep6 regs are a joy to behold and breathe great.

The best way I have found to avoid jaw fatigue is to use an Apeks Comfort Bite mouthpiece. Make sure it is an Apeks or Aqualung Comfort Bite as the generic ones are too flimsy. The early Hog second stages had no raised rim around the exhaust that could cause wet breathing in current, later ones had this raised rim. The new Deep6 regs are a joy to behold and breathe great.
you have it right... some also love the sea cure that looks like chewed gum...(#2 fits the Deep 6 reg)

I'm a comfobite guy personally.

Regarding the D1's being wet breathers. If they are older D1's, they may have the older style exhaust port in the casing which is prone to breathing wet. It has been redesigned and Jack should send replacements for free if you are comfortable swapping the parts over and retuning them.

The second stages shouldn't be giving you jaw fatigue, but may want to look at different hoses or hose routing. I find I get less jaw fatigue *important for me with TMJ* when I use hoses that are behind my neck which help to support some of the weight, and also with the swivels which helps to reduce fatigue by placing them in the right position

JAX mouldable mouthpiece is miles ahead of the comfo-bit imho. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom