Deeper Wreck Diving in Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but I dont do deco dives, that would be Dr. Lecter

I gather Dr. Lecter works at Kaimana too then?

Oooh those Pyramids at the start of the video looks interesting, were they part of an artificial reef program? Is it safe to swim through the openings? Some of it seemed to have collapsed.

Was looking at some other videos on the same Vimeo account the Nashua YTB 774, what's that guy doing without fins! lol... looks like he's having a ball.

You guys definitely have a lot of interesting "intact" wrecks. Most of what we have are severely broken up due to being scuttled a long time ago.

But big thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread and made me look forward to this trip even more!

Nope, I just dive with them. Not as much as I used to only because I'm doing more deep technical stuff these days and there's only so much they can do to accomodate that while still running a recreational charter, but they're still awesome to dive with and have been extremely helpful. I'm also hoping to do my next course with the tech instructor at Kaimana, so maybe Gabe will see this and tell Drew to get back to me on scheduling already :wink:

The Nashua is a very interesting wreck and good for training on how to manage obstructions/entanglement hazards...probably because that's why it was sunk in the first place...but it's only in 65' of water.

Oooh those Pyramids at the start of the video looks interesting, were they part of an artificial reef program? Is it safe to swim through the openings? Some of it seemed to have collapsed.

Atlantis sunk the YO-257, San Pedro, Pyramids (UH Table Top), Ashahi Reef (Japanese artificial reef), and 2 YS-11s from late 1980 to mid 1990 as part of the sub tour. Hurricane Iniki in 1992 destroyed the then intact YS-11 and damage the Pyramids.

Deep air dives are generally accepted here due to dive conditions, warm water, 200-300 vis, light currents. If diving over 200 hylium is available,
there is also the 400 foot (long) wreck off of Maile by the shark cave but no charters going there (that I know of)

Thanks everyone for all the tips and response. Trying to sort out some logistics for now. Hopefully, everything will work out. Can't wait for Feb!!!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

Mulla, could you give us a report on what you dove out here? I'm looking for some deep dives on the island too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mulla, could you give us a report on what you dove out here? I'm looking for some deep dives on the island too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Plavin, my apologies for the late reply. I don't really frequent the forums unless I am asking a few questions :) Hopefully this is not too late.

I see that you are already speaking to Dr. Lecter and Scottitheduck on the fourm, you are in very good hands! I was lucky enough to be able to do a few dives with both the Doc and Scotti when I was in Hawaii for a 2 week holiday. Words are not enough to describe how well I was looked after and the exception level of hospitality I was provided by them. But I'm sure you wanted some details on the diving.

I've only been in Oahu for 2 weeks and dived for 4 days so below are purely my experience as a traveller, I stand to be corrected if any information I provide is incorrect.

Judging from your other post about tec diving in Oahu, not being Trimix certified is certainly not much of an issue. As far as I understand Helium is not easy to come by in Hawaii. Understand everyone is different but I did log my deepest air dive in Hawaii which is on the Friendship wreck in 58m (190') of water. I was a little narcked for the first 5min or so, but was not too bad after. You mileage may vary, but if you have passed your Tec50 the extra 8m may not be too much of a problem.

Scottie is the operator for Kaimana diver, I only have positive things to say about Scottie and his crew. Hopefully, I'm allows to say this, but if you are certified and competent, Scottie may allow you to do a deco dive on his regular trips provided you are not doing ridiculous run times. Which is perfectly fair as it is a recreational trip and you don't want to keep everyone waiting. As far as I understand under 60min run time is likely to be accpetable. Maybe spash before the recreational divers are ready etc. But do check with Scottie, as this is not my call. I have done the YO and Tiger as deco dives, just having longer bottom time the additional time allows for more penetration, they were both fantastic dives. Below are some footage of the YO and Tiger that I took while I was there.

Scuba Diving - Sea Tiger (Honolulu) on Vimeo
Scuba Diving - YO257 (Honolulu) on Vimeo

As mentioned earlier I was also lucky enough to be able to dive the Friendship when I was there.

Scuba Diving - Friendship (Honolulu) on Vimeo

Note the Doc is featured prominently in all videos :) I can never thank you enough for the dives :)

Once again my apologies for the lateness, hopefully you've already managed to get a few dives in with Scottie and the Doc!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom