Definition-bad dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grandizer52

Contributor
Reaction score
I went out today to northshore...conditions we so perfect...then...i get by the water and everything turned to S*H*I*T*...got really stressed, equipment not behaving, got out, hit the drop point...still stressed...swam for about 25 min...harness fell apart on B/C...that was the last straw..had to hold shoulder strap, so was the one had diver...got back to the truck,,,then realized...i just dragged my dive team down with a bad dive...but they were all like..."GLAD TO GET IN THE WATER"!!! kau'aina burger made it better...
so what's the "OHANA'S DEFINITION OF A BAD DIVE"?

laytahs

steve

Last July, diving Cliff House, which is a serious walk / scramble to the water; stumbling around the pillow lava rock point in leather flip flops. Had camera in right hand, cliff to the left, should have lost the slippa's a minute ago, trippin' an don't want to hurt camera; put out left hand!

Ring finger dislocates at second joint, to 45 degrees; serious sounding "$hit!" - buddy entering water on other side of point, "are you OK?" - "$hit.... It's all right; I straightened it out" - still to this day no ring goin' on that finger.

Good dive though...

Last edited:
The only bad dive is the one where a diver doesn't come back.

If you live to dive again on another day, it was a good dive.

I've not been on as many dives as most people here so I doubt I have enough experience to say ... but I've made plenty of newbie mistakes that make for funny stories now.

For example: I normally borrowed a shorty my friend had for diving from his boat and when I went to buy one for myself the only one they had - had sleeves on it. I was alone at the shop and I thought ok... no problem... might be a bit warmer... but no big deal. Went for a shore dive that day and forgot to compensate for the added bouyancy of it being new and the sleeves.

Needless to say it took me a minute to realize what I had done. I noticed I went down while swimming a bit slower than normal... and then very slowly floated upwards. At first I thought I had some air trapped... so I worked the dump valve a couple of times and then it dawned on me. To compound the problem it was a long walk to the dive so going back for weights was not going to happen. Swam a while ... floated a while... only maybe made it 12 feet down - tried out some new gear I had for a while and then called it a day.

Coming out of the water at Puako a couple months back. The surf had kicked up a bit during the hour we were under. Just as my wife and I were getting into the rocky shallows a set of waves came in and caught us... Nothing to do but hunker down and let it break over us. Got banged up a bit, no real damage, a bit scary for a minute or two..

Up on the beach we looked back... the waves had subsided, just a case of bad timing.

It was still a good dive.

What happened to OP would not be a good dive. I'd have to say any in a current swift enough to rip off your mask would be a bad dive. Course, as already said, someone not coming back would not be bad, that would be real bad.

When you have a headache....you go down to 20-30 feet and it feels like a bubble went squish...then you feel better///is that bad?

Coming out of the water at Puako a couple months back. The surf had kicked up a bit during the hour we were under. Just as my wife and I were getting into the rocky shallows a set of waves came in and caught us... Nothing to do but hunker down and let it break over us. Got banged up a bit, no real damage, a bit scary for a minute or two..

Up on the beach we looked back... the waves had subsided, just a case of bad timing.

It was still a good dive.

My husband and I did our first dive of the season at Shark's Cove (with our spiffy new equipment). The entry/exit is a PITA in ideal conditions, and when we got out on Saturday, there was just enough wave action to ensure that I could not get enough grip on the slippery rocks to stand up. I was pretty sure I was going to break an ankle because I could not get my fins off and I was constantly getting knocked over by the waves. Luckily, a guy who was sitting and watching the waves helped us out.

We climbed out of the water, exhausted with our shins and knees bashed up. While my hubby was stashing our gear, I watched the water. It was dead still, with no trace of the obnoxious waves :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom