Dehydration - DCS - Peeing in WS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I regularly drink about 80 ounces of Green Tea a day in addition to drinking about a liter of water. On dive days I do the same thing but replace the additional water with Gatoraid or Poweraid. During my 45 minute surface intervals I will have some lunch and drink some more. When diving I pee before I suit up and after the first dive, during the surface interval.

What I do may seem extream to some but I'm also the guy that regularly checks out his saftey gear and when diving in the ocean I have everything I need to signal the mother ship. I carry whistle, flares, mirror, lume stick, compass, tank banger, SMB, etc. I perfer to error on the side of saftey. I guess the term is "anal-retentive" or maybe obsessive compulsiveness.

Frances Ashcroft
Life at the Extremes
The Science of Survival

"Decompression sickness is not the only difficulty that faces the diver. Even just immersing the body in water up to the neck causes physiological changes. When you are standing upright on the seashore, there is a pressure gradient down your body due to the force of gravity, which causes the blood to pool in your legs. If you now immerse yourself in the sea up to your neck, this effect is counteracted by the external pressure of the water so that about half a litre of blood shifts upwards from the legs to the chest, distending the great veins and the right atrium of the heart and increasing your cardiac output. One consequence of stretching the atrial wall is that it alters the level of two hormones that influence water uptake by the kidney, and thereby stimulates urine production. This explains why you so often, and so annoyingly, need to pee just after entering the water."

Dave (aka "Squirt", "ZipptyDooDiveDave")

draperb@hcsmail.com:
What I do may seem extream to some but I'm also the guy that regularly checks out his saftey gear and when diving in the ocean I have everything I need to signal the mother ship. I carry whistle, flares, mirror, lume stick, compass, tank banger, SMB, etc. I perfer to error on the side of saftey. I guess the term is "anal-retentive" or maybe obsessive compulsiveness.

I'm a clinical psychologist and I don't diagnose you as obsessive compulsive, but more inline with the diagnosis of "Smartdiverosis" Prognosis is excellent! Please pass on your genes for this evolutionary trait to future generations of divers.

The Kraken:
Well, many people rent wet suits . . . . . . . :shakehead

the K

I hope your LDS rinses well! :rofl3:

But seriously, while the idea of renting a wet suit that a stranger has peed in is rather offputting, most LDS want their rental's to last a long time so they are thoroughly rinsed with that enzyme product that removes any stinky. If you have children or a dog the idea of dealing with pee and poop doesn't bother you that much IMHO of course!:14:

If you are renting a wet suit, you can bet that people have ALREADY peed in it.

i like peeing in my wet suit - particularlly when I am in the springs for over forty minutes and freezing - i actually look forward to it (despite the fact that i have heard that it actually lowers by body temp). but thats just me.

-----but, my dry suit should be here next week. i dont plan on peeing in that :wink:

[FONT=&quot]There’s also diureses triggered by negative pressure breathing.[/FONT]

"As of this date, I've never urinated in a wet suit. "
80% admit to peeing in there suit the rest lie about it!....

Back
Top Bottom