Delaware River Water Gap - Train Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at the train wreck for awhile - never dove this site or in the Delaware...

I would like to try it this weekend 5/16 or next 5/23 if anyone is interested...
I have some kid activities I need to work around but if you are flexible I am interested - not very deep but could be fun... From what I read - you can not dive after a rain storm or it clouds - silts out the river.

For more info - scroll down till you hit Delaware River Water Gap
Freshwater Dive Sites - New Jersey Scuba Diving

Heard from more than a few that it isn't worth the trouble. Not much of a dive.

Now, since you are in the water gap area, if you could somehow get permission to dive Sunfish Pond --> CALL ME ASAP!!!

Sunfish Pond? I'd love to do that. Weird fish and all. I've hiked up there dozens of times. How would you get tanks up there? I know that they don't allow swimming but that doesn't stop anyone.

Ok I will see what I can do - but the Train Wreck has been on my check the box list for 3 years now - I need to "check the box" :wink:

http://www.bradfordcountypa.org/ima...F=pdf_id&N=pdf_file&ID=465&CT=application/pdf

There is nothing that says we could not - but I called to confirm - [-]either way I think you need to buy a campsite to dive[/-] now I dont think so after rereading - if they allow diving... Will let you know as soon as they call back... BUT you will need to dive the Train Wreck before a Sunfish pond dive - lol. Fair is fair...

Last edited:
Sunfish Pond? I'd love to do that.
Me too.
Weird fish and all. I've hiked up there dozens of times.
That is my "go to" hike. Can't count the number of times.
How would you get tanks up there? I know that they don't allow swimming but that doesn't stop anyone.
Carry them in my teeth.

Pristine site. Stops me.

Has been dived before, not by me, can't say how. Ask at the office.

Seriously, anyone finding a way to do this legally and without damage to the site, please include me...

Me too.
That is my "go to" hike. Can't count the number of times.
Carry them in my teeth.

Pristine site. Stops me.

Has been dived before, not by me, can't say how. Ask at the office.

Seriously, anyone finding a way to do this legally and without damage to the site, please include me...

We must have passed by each other. I usually do the Dunnfield Creek (green) to Sunfish then AT back. Last year, I did the red up Tammany then the fire trail to SF pond, around the pond and back on the AT or green. Nice hike.

Seriously, besides the fact that you couldn't get tanks up there, this is never going to happen (legally). When you stand on the side of the pond where the AT meets the green trail, there is a tremendous amount of aquatic activity. They would never be crazy enough to grant anyone permission to clamber around in habitat destruction gear. I know that the rangers (if around) will enforce the no swimming rule. The water temp is "bloody cold" all year round and the depth is reportedly over 600 feet deep in places.

Train wreck is boring...:sleepy:

if u find a guide i will dive the train wreck. for those that say it is boring at least you have the experience, let others check it off their list.:)

Seriously, besides the fact that you couldn't get tanks up there, this is never going to happen (legally). Train wreck is boring...:sleepy:

I have no idea if they will allow diving or not - and it did not cost me to leave a message and find out.

However - I once had someone tell me I could not do a cross country bike trip - he said I had too many obligations... Three months later I rode from Vancouver Canada to Tijuana Mexico on a bicycle down the PCH the entire way. So when you say you "couldn't get tanks up there" I only see that as a challenge not a road block. If we are allowed - I will post photos...
Train wreck boring? Come on... Looking at photos of two guys dumb enough to hike scuba gear up a mountain to dive is boring... :wink:

---------- Post added May 12th, 2015 at 02:33 PM ----------

if u find a guide i will dive the train wreck. for those that say it is boring at least you have the experience, let others check it off their list.:)

I will be your guide - Lol - come on this is a once and done dive... Check it off the list and we move to the next one... :D

We must have passed by each other.
More than once...
I usually do the Dunnfield Creek (green) to Sunfish then AT back. Last year, I did the red up Tammany then the fire trail to SF pond, around the pond and back on the AT or green. Nice hike.
Most lovey.
Seriously, besides the fact that you couldn't get tanks up there,
Really?
this is never going to happen (legally).
True.
When you stand on the side of the pond where the AT meets the green trail, there is a tremendous amount of aquatic activity. They would never be crazy enough to grant anyone permission to clamber around in habitat destruction gear.
Agreed.
I know that the rangers (if around) will enforce the no swimming rule. The water temp is "bloody cold" all year round and the depth is reportedly over 600 feet deep in places.
Water can only get so cold. After that, you stand on it. If it is liquid, it is diveable.

One dive, OMG, just one dive...

I have been looking at the train wreck for awhile - never dove this site or in the Delaware...

I would like to try it this weekend 5/16 or next 5/23 if anyone is interested...
I have some kid activities I need to work around but if you are flexible I am interested - not very deep but could be fun... From what I read - you can not dive after a rain storm or it clouds - silts out the river.

For more info - scroll down till you hit Delaware River Water Gap
Freshwater Dive Sites - New Jersey Scuba Diving

Looks interesting. If I was closer I would give it a try....

Austin

Back
Top Bottom