delicate mask buckles and stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plastic boxes that come with some masks are batter than nothing. One of my masks came with a case, the "hinge" (plastic, no real hinge) finally cracked after some years. The Pelican is at least 3x older and still going strong. I'd rather throw out the "free" case, spend $20, and KNOW my mask is protected. I could jump on it, dropkick it, stow anchor chain or an anchor on it, and the mask inside will still be fine. Which means a lot to me because I took a LONG time to find a mask I liked.

I haven't seen a buckle break in a long time.

I have. Airport luggage handlers managed to do something to snap off the side of the "hard case" mask box and drive the sharp bit (edge?) into the buckle.
My new mask came with a better hard case.

Hello,
I am looking for a new mask. I tried few popular models (mostly cressi and aqualang ones – that’s the ones available in my local store) and most of them fit on my face quite well (generic face?)

I didn’t buy any of them though. The reason being these delicate looking buckle mechanisms. Micrometer(?) adjustments, tiny plastic rods securing plastic hinges to elastic (rubber?) pieces etc etc. Are all these reliable enough for sea/salt/sun/heat and diving use and abuse?

I thought the strap was supposed to be a “consumable” - not the mask. Not any more?

I like the goodies of newer masks (better fit, increased field of view etc) but more importantly I prefer them to be long lasting/reliable.

Any suggestion for my “keep it simple and reliable” mindset?

Thanks a lot

Our most popular mask (for freedivers and scuba divers) is the MAKO Minimus mask. As you mentioned, the field of view is an important issue. The MAKO "mini" mask brings the face plate right up to and almost touching the eyes, so the field of view is pretty much uncompromised.

Plastic buckles are most vulnerable when they are affixed to the plastic mask frame. When the mask is thrown around and abused, the buckle often gets the brunt of the abuse and it is vulnerable because it is protruding from the frame.

The MAKO mini, uses a different type of construction which makes the buckles (nearly) indestructible. The buckles are not attached to the frame at all, but rather to tabs on the side of the mask skirt. If the mask is dropped on the side, the skirt will fold inward and the buckle is unaffected. At first glance this might make you nervous about attaching the mask strap to the skirt rather than the frame, but we have had an EXTREMELY low rate of returns/failures. You don't need a massive buckle to hold a mask to your face that weighs just a few ounces.

If you are looking for a new mask, consider the MAKO mini. It fits a large majority of people and if you don't like it for any reason, return it and I will issue a refund. You will love the mask or I'll take it back.

We only sell direct with no retail stores, so don't think this is a "cheap" mask because it costs maybe half what some other high quality masks cost in a retail store.

Oh yeah, it comes with a free plastic box, but I do like Pete's idea of slipping it into the fin footpocket for travel.

Minimus

MMM-2T.jpg

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

Keep your mask in a hard case until it's time to put it on. Don't throw it on the boat deck or sit on it. I'm not exactly gentle with my gear and I've not broken a mask yet.
Is that because, in your search through dozens for one that doesn't leak, you have never had one for long enough to break it? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom