Delta 3 vs GT3 vs Delta 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterArchy

Registered
Reaction score
I dove a borrowed Delta 3/TDX5 years ago and I really liked how well it breathed. I am finally not a poor student and am looking at moving away from borrowing and renting gear for diving and into buying my own.

Doing some research, it looks like the Delta 3 is no longer available but the GT3/CDX5 and Delta 4/FDX10 are. I was hoping that there would be some people out there who may know if the GT3 breathes similar to the Delta 3 as there is online, a considerable difference in pricing available for these two regs.

I can tell you that the GT3 is highly regarded and the Delta 4 is the step up. The GT3 breaths well but not as well as the Delta 4 FDX10.
Until the introduction of the EOS last year the Delta 4 FDX10 was the top of the line.
Also it is considered one of the top cold water performers.
The Delta 4 is an excellent breather my wife and I both use one and I do recommend the model as a top pick when it is on sale bellow $400. It is adjustable to the point where it feels as if it was pushing you to breath. They had a swivel hose until the introduction of the EOS. Now the EOS has the swivel and the Delta uses a straight hose and most recently the Delta became available as the Delta 4.1 with some cosmetic changes.

The GT3 will indeed breathe just as well as a Delta 3 or 4 if properly adjusted. With the addition of the adjustable second stage that becomes even less of an issue. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between my GT3, Delta 3, my friends Delta 4,and to some extent my Alpha7 with the DX4 first stage! Of course I service my own so that may have something to do with it, but a good reg is a good reg. I'd also give serious consideration to getting one that is non-DVT. Not worth the money and of little benefit to the conscientious diver.

I recommend the GT3/CDX5, for the money they are great 1st and 2nd stages. I have been using one for a year or so and have an unused one for a backup. My wife uses the alpha 8/cdx5 which is a good choice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom