Delta Airlines cutting miles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
FYI..

Just saw on the national news that Delta is going to start cutting frequent flyer miles by as much as 75% if you don't book directly through their web site. Discount fares (probably Kayak, Expedia, etc), tours (which groups weren't defined, maybe as small as LDS groups) and others (probably anything except full fare tickets) "could" be affected.

It also stated that most booking agents probably wouldn't warn customers ahead time because that would loose them a lot of business.

It said these new rules would take place this fall, isn't it almost fall already ?

If you fly Delta it wouldn't hurt to double check before you book if you are trying to build your FF miles. I'm sure United will follow Delta if there isn't a lot of backlash when this starts.

Last edited:
I fly Delta as a first choice, and in my experience booking with them they are the same price through their site as I find at Expedia and so on. I usually don't book a hotel with my airfare, but I to shop them as a bundle as a matter of habit. I will definitely keep this in mind when I book my next trip! Thanks for the heads-up.

I fly Delta as a first choice, and in my experience booking with them they are the same price through their site as I find at Expedia and so on. I usually don't book a hotel with my airfare, but I to shop them as a bundle as a matter of habit. I will definitely keep this in mind when I book my next trip! Thanks for the heads-up.

The news blurb was short and didn't go into a lot of detail but I know a lot of people use the "codes" on one of the sites that saves them money. This might also be something to watch. It might just be another ploy to cut out the Kayak's, Orbits and the like so they don't have to pay the commission or whatever they reap from the booking. But the blurb did mention booking your travel directly through the Delta site, so I'm sure there is a method to the madness.

I always book directly through the airlines anyway! I've RARELY found lower prices booking through Orbitz, Expedia, etc - and never lower on direct flights.

I use Google's ITA software a lot lately, since it allows for complex searches of multiple airlines and airports and is a good way to check fares for a period of time rather than just specific dates. I'll then typically check with Hipmunk because their "agony" rankings help weed out lousy choices. Both of those places identify flights so I can go directly to the airline site for the actual booking.

Unlike Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity, etc., I do find significant deals on the two sites I mentioned.

I always book directly through the airlines anyway! I've RARELY found lower prices booking through Orbitz, Expedia, etc - and never lower on direct flights.
The airlines have devious ways to identify shoppers looking for the best fares, then raise prices on them as they shop dates. We used to be able to clear cookies for the particular airline, look again, then see a fare drop, but they are beyond all that now. It certainly pays to open new tabs and check fares on other sites before buying from the airline direct.

Direct & non-stop flights are probably not as easy for them to game tho. Well, I guess any direct flight to the US would be non-stop; I think only Southwest has direct flights that are not necessarily non-stop anymore? :idk: A lot of things work easier for trips with non-stop flights. You can even take booze on the plane without running into problems. :laughing:

I used to get a lot out of FF-miles back when they were more valuable and more useful, and triple-mileage 1988 was a joyride, but they're just not the same anymore. I do have a lifetime benefit with Delta based on 4 Million, but they abandoned Lubbock again - and I never liked driving to DFW or Dallas to catch a plane.

I use Google's ITA software a lot lately, since it allows for complex searches of multiple airlines and airports and is a good way to check fares for a period of time rather than just specific dates. I'll then typically check with Hipmunk because their "agony" rankings help weed out lousy choices. Both of those places identify flights so I can go directly to the airline site for the actual booking.

Unlike Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity, etc., I do find significant deals on the two sites I mentioned.
Do you mean Matrix.itasoftware.com? :thumb:

The news blurb was short and didn't go into a lot of detail but I know a lot of people use the "codes" on one of the sites that saves them money. This might also be something to watch. It might just be another ploy to cut out the Kayak's, Orbits and the like so they don't have to pay the commission or whatever they reap from the booking. But the blurb did mention booking your travel directly through the Delta site, so I'm sure there is a method to the madness.
Here are the details, and it also includes a work-around penalty for using a credit card vs debit card, but does not seem to include Kayak, Orbitz, etc? See Credit Card Increases, Frequent Flyer Cuts - SmarterTravel.com
You'll soon be facing two new reverses in your ongoing struggles with travel suppliers. Although the preliminary indications are relatively obscure, they presage possible big new developments in the next few years. You need to start planning now.

Plastic Complication

Allegiant quietly initiated a new way of treating plastic. Its all-up fare displays now feature a "debit card" price; if you want to use a credit card, you pay an extra $4 per flight regardless of the base price. The fine print still lists a higher base fare, then subtracts a $4 "debit card discount," but the net effect is the same: You pay $4 more to buy with a credit card than with a debit card.
What's going on here? Airlines (and many other merchants) would like to avoid the fees that credit card issuers charge. For "card not present" transactions, including Internet buys, industry reports say those fees are roughly 2 percent of the transaction cost, although high-risk suppliers pay more. Debit card fees are lower at about half that figure. And even a 1 percent difference represents lots of dollars on the multibillion dollars in airline revenues.
The reason for Allegiant's use of a "debit card discount" rather than "credit card surcharge" stems from a bit of Orwellian logic: Contracts between the card systems and merchants specify that merchants can't add credit card surcharges to nominal list prices, but they are allowed to give "cash" or "debit card" discounts. Go figure.
So far, none of the other "usual suspects" airlines has introduced such pricing. But, as I've often noted, nothing catches on in the airline business as fast as a bad idea.
As far as I can tell, major suppliers are divided about how to approach the problem:

• Some seem to believe that travelers prefer to use credit cards and that acceptance of credit cards tends to encourage sales.
  • Others want to get rid of the standard contracts so they can surcharge credit card purchases. Merchants and consumer organizations in Australia already successfully lobbied a ban on those "no surcharge" contracts.
As consumers, you have a big stake in the outcome to this battle. Credit cards provide some important benefits that debit cards do not:

• Legal protections, such as chargeback laws, apply to credit cards but not to debit cards.
  • Debit cards typically do not provide such ancillary credit card benefits as rental-car collision protection, other types of "insurance," and warranty guarantees.
  • Debit cards typically do not award miles, points, or cash discounts.
  • Credit cards allow you to repay a purchase over extended time periods, while debit cards deduct a charge from your bank account immediately.
As this battle develops, I expect to see some blurring of the distinctions and the addition of some benefits to debit cards, maybe as for-pay options. And independent payment systems such as PayPal will likely play a much bigger role. For now, however, you just need to keep watching developments and to decide on any given transaction whether to pay more for a credit card buy than with a debit card.

Frequent-Flyer Devaluation

Delta announced it has reduced the miles it awards for travel on "unpublished" fares, including student, consolidator, group, and similar fares. Mileage earning will run from the standard 100 percent to as low as 25 percent, depending on the fare class.
Unpublished fares in the Asia Pacific region are exempted due to some contract fine print.
I suspect this is the first of many such devaluations. When American started the first frequent-flyer program, the spread between the highest and lowest fares was much less than it is now, so earnings based on miles flown made some sense. Now, however, my belief is that most airlines would prefer to base earnings on amount paid or the equivalent rather than miles flown. Foreign lines and some smaller U.S. lines, which established programs much later, adopted this system. I believe that the giant U.S. airlines will try to follow as quickly as the public relations impact will allow. The clear conclusion: Miles and mileage programs don't improve with age.

The airlines have devious ways to identify shoppers looking for the best fares, then raise prices on them as they shop dates. We used to be able to clear cookies for the particular airline, look again, then see a fare drop, but they are beyond all that now.
Do you have anything other than anecdotal evidence to support this conspiracy theory of yours that you are always going on about? I have shopped on line for all my air travel for many years and I've never seen anything in pricing changes which could not also be explained by the normal tiering of pricing, bookings and cancellations, etc. I typically ping the airline sites for the same dates and flights many times before I buy, and sometimes the prices change, sometimes they don't. When they change, sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. I don't see a smoking gun.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Do you have anything other than anecdotal evidence to support this conspiracy theory of yours that you are always going on about? I have shopped on line for all my air travel for many years and I've never seen anything in pricing changes which could not also be explained by the normal tiering of pricing, bookings and cancellations, etc. I typically ping the airline sites for the same dates and flights many times before I buy, and sometimes the prices change, sometimes they don't. When they change, sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. I don't see a smoking gun.

Correlation does not imply causation.
Again, you are flying non-stop - right? I do think those fares are least likely to be gammed. I did used to catch them at it by...
1: Shop the airline site for a while, finding the itinerary I desired;
2: Shop Kayak for the same itinerary, same airline, same dates, etc. at a lower price;
3: Then link from the Kayak itinerary directly to the same itinerary on the airline site at the lower price!
I then opened a new thread in General Travel forum about clearing cookies, etc.

Nowadays I check my fares on Matrix.itasoftware.com and don't even bother shopping the airline sites until I am ready to buy, and the last few years of fewer flights I ended up buying on Orbitz or Cheap Caribbean which do not game the flight prices - but there are articles around the web about how sellers ID shoppers without cookies or IPs anymore.

Not the same thing, but one of my favs: How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Forbes

Looks like it went into effect September 1, 2012...

Earning Miles With Special Fares

[h=1]Earning Miles With Special Fares[/h]Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules.
Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares&#8221:wink: will earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.
Examples of Unpublished fares include:

• Student fares
  • Consolidator fares
  • Flights included as part of a cruise package
  • Discounted tour packages
  • Group fares
Effective for unpublished fares purchased on or after September 1, 2012, mileage accrual will be calculated as follows
Unpublished Fare Mileage Earn Table
Unpublished Fare Class of ServiceMiles*MQMs*
First/Business - J, C, D, S, I, F, P, A150%100%
Premium Economy - Y, B, M100%100%
Economy, H75%75%
Discounted Economy - Q, K, L50%50%
Deeply Discounted Economy - U, T, E25%25%
* 500 minimum mileage does not apply.
Special /unpublished Fares purchased in the Asia Pacific Region are excluded and will continue to earn full mileage based on SkyMiles program rules. See terms and conditions for the definition of the Asia Pacific Region.
Other exceptions may apply, please be sure to contact your ticketing agent for details.
[h=2]Terms and Conditions[/h]Corporate Sales, Military and Government fares, Nikkei program and tickets purchased with Delta Vacations will continue to earn full mileage based on SkyMiles program rules for published fares. Certain special and unpublished fare tickets may not be eligible for Medallion Tier Bonus and Class of Service Bonus. Certain special and unpublished fare tickets will not be eligible for bonus miles or MQM promotions. Unpublished fare tickets purchased in Asia Pacific region will continue to earn full mileage based on SkyMiles program rules and will also be eligible for Medallion Tier bonus and Class of Service Bonus and may be eligible for bonus miles or MQM promotions.
Special and unpublished fare tickets purchased in the Asia Pacific region will continue to earn full mileage credit based on the current SkyMiles program rules. Countries and territories of the Asia Pacific region are defined as:
American Samoa, Australia, Belau, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Caroline Island, China, Christmas Island, Cook Islands, Cozcos (Keeling) Islands, East Timor, Ebeye, Fiji, French Polynesia, Futuna Islands, Gilbert Island, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Kampuchea, Kiribati, Laos, Macau, Majuro, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Island, Pacific Island Trust, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pitcairn, Rota, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Tibet, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam, and Wallis.
All SkyMiles program rules apply to SkyMiles program membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption and travel benefits. To review the rules, please visit Membership Guide & Program Rules. These rules are subject to change at any time. Unless otherwise stated, the current rules in effect at the time of your travel, request for a benefit, or other transaction will govern that transaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom