Delta Airlines to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the Mayor is successful in getting Royal Caribbean to start homeporting out of Cozumel I would expect a dramatic increase in flights. On the flip side the airport is federal so I would not expect an increase in customs and immigration to catch up for awhile.

If the Mayor is successful in getting Royal Caribbean to start homeporting out of Cozumel I would expect a dramatic increase in flights. On the flip side the airport is federal so I would not expect an increase in customs and immigration to catch up for awhile.

Where would cruises go? And, who wants to be on a floating Petri dish in a pandemic??

Where would cruises go? And, who wants to be on a floating Petri dish in a pandemic??
There are many who haven't taken the pandemic seriously and are dying to go, including my daughter's household. :facepalm:They have all had Covid with their attitudes, some have since been fully vaccinated. They were all set to leave from Lubbock to Fort Worth the first day of the recent Deep Freeze to shop for a prom dress, and I barely talked them out of that by asking if she was prepared to drive 30 mph for 10 or more hours each way. Then they discovered last year's inventory of dressed for canceled proms locally at clearance prices and had a ball. A different dress for every prom!

RC has a new cancelation policy allowing free changes up to 2 days before sailing. Their current schedules look so boring with two days solely at sea each way, but they enjoy those barges. They drive 567 miles from Lubbock to Galveston to avoid to hassle of getting from Houston to Galveston which further amazes me. They hope to go this summer, but I hope I can discourage them with RC's fine print: "If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed."

Which cruise line owns that artificial village down the mainland coast? They might take them around the horn to that village on the north end of the peninsula. I don't see the appeal. Supplying the ships and offloading garbage on the island would be a nightmare, but RC might use one of their idle barges to do that from the US. A little sailing cruise line I used to go on did that with a freighter in the 1980s and 1990s.

I have friends who have been flying into Cancun on Delta and taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel. They say it's pretty easy and cost effective to do. Even with all of their dive gear. And that way they can still fly on Delta. Definitely not as easy as direct to Cozumel, but doable.

We do that route regularly. We use CheapTransferCancun.com for car service from CUN to the Cozumel ferry out of Playa. Then we either cab it once we get to Coz or wheel our bags a few blocks to wherever we're staying.

This past winter the two ferry companies, Ultramar and Winjet, were operating on alternating days, and every couple hours instead of once an hour. Ultramar offers a first class option for about $10 more each way, which let us skip the packed lines and ride in a near empty private cabin, which during a pandemic seemed like a good use of 10 bucks.

We'd much prefer to fly directly into CZM, which would save us 2-3+ hours of cars, ferries, lugging and waiting, but we're pretty loyal to Delta. I've heard about small Cessna charters that will puddle jump you from CUN to CZM for about $600-700 for the entire plane. If you've got 4pax then it starts to sound reasonable. I don't think you can get a cab from CZM without walking out to the main road. A bit of a PIA.

Anyway, I'll be very happy if/when Delta resumes any degree of service out to CZM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom