Delta P VR3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rigdiver:
Just got through diving a new VR3 with VPM for a week of CCR diving. It's the bomb. Had an earlier VR3 for a couple of years and liked it. Got the new version with every bell and whistle except the analyzer function. Color screen is great to look at UW. I left the light on continually. After a little practice the buttons become intuitive enough. Like anything there is a learning curve. I own/owned all the mixed-gas/ccr capable computers and my favorite is still the VR3. Only negative is it's a little big.
Buy one, you know you need it.
Bill

Not to hijack, but what do you think of the Cochran EMC-20H? How does it compare with the VR3 algorithm-wise?

Brian

Uh oh... I just heard the worms slithering out of the can...

PerroneFord:
Uh oh... I just heard the worms slithering out of the can...

Actually, PM's fine - I honestly didn't mean to hijack. I just bought an EMC-20H, so it really doesn't affect anything for me one way or another, just curious. I'm assuming you mean I'm opening up a can of worms by introducing other computers into the discussion?

Brian

Not "other computers", just Cochran... :)

Many people have a love, hate relationship with them. Meaning they love to hate them!

The VR3 is one of the best you can get, if not the best.
No nonsense equipment. Battery change is easy and cheap, uses AA that you can get anywhere. Functions are great. Up-to-date deco models and you can visualise your dive profile on screen. Gas switching is easy. But if you are getting into serious technical diving, I think you are better off planning your dive well and using it as a backup/reference or bottom timer. The octo game is fun on deco hangs for about 5 minutes. Then the odd lost sardine swimming by becomes more interesting.
It is a beautifully engineered computer. The closest you can get to the ideal thing at th emoment.

Just my view, after diving many different "recreational" dive computers.
I either dive with the VR3 or without a computer (except a stinger as a back up bottom timer). You especially feel the difference when you dive with buddies on recreational computers doing deco dives, the differences are so large, that it becomes scary to think what some people dive with and rely on. It is also upgradable from your PC. You won't be disappointed.
I went for the VR3, because I heard some reliability issues of the Cochran systems. Not sure if this is true, but after my previous computer failures with other brands I really wanted something reliable. So far this has held true.

A.

AlexMDiver:
...the differences are so large, that it becomes scary to think what some people dive with and rely on...

Differences how? Long deco times? Shorter? No deep stops? Weird curves? Always curious - the more detail you can/care to explain the better for me.

Thanks.

Brian

Yep, the deep stops give you much more credit later on and work great. But in general, there were divers recently on my line/dive that were on identical dive profiles and whose deco varied by about 20% plus or minus. Some were stuck for eons at 9m, some were already at 3m. Either way, you have to think that someone's deco will be way off. I try and follow DIR philosophy (except for not using my DIR in dive mode), so plan most of the deco anyway and am pretty sure of where I am at. It usually is close to what the VR3 tells me. Some are just way off doing deco dives with recreational computers (this was when I dive in Italy). I had to explain what deep stops were all about....
I don't want to mention the brands of the other coputers in question here, because I don't recall for sure the make and model and do not want to give inaccurate information. I just think that if you are doing deco dives, get a proper computer and/or even better use tables/planning and follow your planned profile. Nitrogen is pretty unforgiving.

I have a question about my new VR3. First of all, I bought it in the fall, and made my first dive on it 2 weeks ago. I used the dive-planner mode to plan my deco stops. However, I am not sure how to plan a repetitive dive if even possible. I attempted to use the diveplan mode after the surface interval, and it gave me the exact same stops as the first dive. I was however, making an identical 2nd dive 3.5 hours later. I got the same stops generated, no matter how many hours I put into the "SI" field. Is the VR3 capable of generating backup tables for a repetitive dive, before even leaving the house? I have only had sucess on planning the first dive. BTW, I was using 74% to deco on, and SI was close to 4 hours. May have cleared all nitrogen by then. Am still confused about this dive-planner feature. All help is appreciated. Other than that, I love the thing. All the guys on our boat use them. One guy uses two! Another FYI, that glass lens is 3/8" thick!! Built like a tank.
Jim

I have approx 200 open circuit and 100 closed circuit dives with my VR3. By far, the absolute best computer that I have ever used ... period! And, the thing is a tank. I just upgraded mine to the color version. Not as difficult to use as people say although using it for CC (rebreather) diving does require thorough knowledge of the computer ... but when CC diving you should have thorough knowledge of every piece of equipment strapped to your body.

I had the Cochran Commander before and loved/hated it. I loved it when it worked, and hated it the other 75% of the time.

rebreather.jpg

I never use Cochran but heard about the brand name, please give some comment. Thanks
pwfletcher:
I had the Cochran Commander before and loved/hated it. I loved it when it worked, and hated it the other 75% of the time.

rebreather.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom