DEMA 2005 Wrap up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As day four came to an end and exhibitor’s started tearing down their booths just a little early, it was apparent that for most this year’s DEMA show was a success but by no means stunning. After the 2004 show in Houston, lots was riding on Vegas and it did perform – most of the big names were there, the crowd was a decent size but the DEMA of a decade ago is clearly not back, at least not yet. After speaking with countless exhibitor reps and attendees, most businesses were able to accomplish what they wanted which is to keep business running and that the main goal of the show. However, there did seem to be something missing – the innovations, the industry buzz and the atmosphere were just not where people wanted them to be. Many great products are on their way out and for the most part the show did succeed in really growing back up, certainly it was a step in a better direction.

On day 3 we covered most of the manufacturer announcements and updates but just in case you missed it, here’s a list of some of the new and upcoming products showcased at this year’s show.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114778

Surprisingly the travel side of the industry seemed on par with last year’s presence. While many people have voiced opinions about DEMA turning into a travel show, that was not as evident this time around, most likely because of the return of a few big manufacturers. Still travel was well represented with isle after isle devoted to locations around the world. Despite the critique of travel at DEMA, it is evident that in shops and in the industry as a whole travel is what is driving business forward – after all, who doesn’t want to dive and dive in a tropical paradise?

If you’re looking to travel be sure to check back to the DEMA forum for specials direct from the show.

For ScubaBoard DEMA was a success on many levels – it amazes me to see how many people know our name and know our site. Shop owners, instructors, magazine reps, even manufactures are all represented on ScubaBoard either as active members or lurkers and hearing from hundreds and hundreds of them was fantastic. DEMA was also immensely helpful in allowing ScubaBoard to further brand our name to the industry; I expect this will mean more divers and more experienced members for the community.

Finally this year’s DEMA had a few exciting events and guest appearances. Throughout most of the show, John Chatterton and Richie Kohler from the History Channel’s hit show “Deep Sea Detectives” were present to speak about the Ships2Reefs project and for meet & greet events – while they have certainly obtained some level of “celebrity” status, both were extremely accessible to show attendees and we hear nothing but good things about their involvement in the show and John’s role in Ships2Reefs.

Renowned underwater Wyland was also present with a large collection of his artwork on display including a new piece which he worked on while at the show. Wyland was interviewed by ScubaRadio regarding his involvement in The Academy of Underwater Arts & Sciences where he presented an award. You can also find a short interview with Wyland conducted by DeeperBlue.net at the DEMA show.

This year also featured an underwater press conference with 14 individuals from the dive media including NetDoc from ScubaBoard, staff from DeeperBlue.net, an employee of CNN and a writer from Sport Diver all interviewing DEMA’s president. Ocean Technology Systems provided their Aga Mask & Buddy Phone system to facilitate the dialog and ScubaDiving Magazine’s Scuba Tour provided the gear. The entire event was held at the Rivera hotel’s pool after being moved around the city several times. As you can imagine the entire event was a major undertaking but it would appear that diving can happen in Las Vegas after all!

Despite the apparent short comings DEMA was a busy, busy, busy event this year. Next year’s show takes place in Orlando and hopefully it will build off of what we had here but that remains to be seen. Check back for more photos, articles and industry news as we catch up from the last few days!

After talking to some exhibitors myself most seemed to complain about DEMA charging way too much. Not all there will return. Do you think DEMA is pricing themselves right out of business?

Al Mialkovsky:
After talking to some exhibitors myself most seemed to complain about DEMA charging way too much. Not all there will return. Do you think DEMA is pricing themselves right out of business?
defiantely; the show is to promote product & to have the mfg's expose themselves to the retailer & the fees just keep increasing year after year & the shows are not getting any better

pinkladydi:
defiantely; the show is to promote product & to have the mfg's expose themselves to the retailer & the fees just keep increasing year after year & the shows are not getting any better

As an exhibitor I certainly don't like to pay more than I have to, but at the same time it's important to remember that most of the fees are passed on from the convention halls and vendors. Certainly DEMA plays a role but the question is of course how much of it is a function of the location versus the bill padding (i.e. how much extra do we pay to go to Vegas over Houston). Consider that the California Dive show is just under $1000 per 10x10 booth, the Florida Dive show is under $800, SeaSpace is under $900 and DEMA comes in at $1700, certainly much higher than any of the mentioned consumer dive shows. However, if you compare to other industries (and to other b2b shows), the prices are much more in line. InfoComm '06 charges over $3200 for a 10x10, PGA Fall Expo starts at $1800; Surf Expo is $2375 and so forth.

Certainly there is a difference between all these shows -- DEMA is b2b but it's also the dive industry which is relatively small, so the costs should offset each other to an extent. I'm not trying to say that DEMA is by any means in the price range it could or should be in -- to the contrary, pricing is a huge issue in the diving industry given the limited size of most dive companies. We're not talking about a high tech, marketing driven industry, but rather one that is focused on doing rather than promoting. DEMA as an organization is put into a tough spot as exhibitors demand top locations and peak seasonal timing but at a lower rate as well. How this plays out for the Orlando show next year remains to be seen -- Orlando is certainly not Vegas.

Mike Veitch:
is that per day pricing or for the whole show?

That's the price for the show booth space for the duration of the show (plus a few days before and after to setup & packup). It includes a few services like a free backdrop but electricity, internet access and of course the booth its self are all extra.

Al Mialkovsky:

Let me echo Tech Admin, as an exhibitor I'm in no hurry to pay more. It should be noted however that the cost of the booth is but a fraction of the total. Travel and housing and food, shipping the booth goods, printed materials, time away from the office, and my personal favorite "drayage"

Drayage, for those who have not had the personal joy of trade show attendance, is the fee for moving your goods from the loading dock of the exhibition hall to your booth. In my case this year, about 30 feet.

Drayage is calculated at $62 per 100 lbs, that right folks 62 cents a pound! Handy drive up scales for the forklifts allow on the spot determination of how much your goods weight.

A modest 10 x 10 booth is hard to do for less than $5k when all the costs are included.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Let me echo Tech Admin, as an exhibitor I'm in no hurry to pay more. It should be noted however that the cost of the booth is but a fraction of the total. Travel and housing and food, shipping the booth goods, printed materials, time away from the office, and my personal favorite "drayage"

Drayage, for those who have not had the personal joy of trade show attendance, is the fee for moving your goods from the loading dock of the exhibition hall to your booth. In my case this year, about 30 feet.

Drayage is calculated at $62 per 100 lbs, that right folks 62 cents a pound! Handy drive up scales for the forklifts allow on the spot determination of how much your goods weight.

A modest 10 x 10 booth is hard to do for less than $5k when all the costs are included.

Tobin

I have attended every DEMA SHOW since 1976. For the first decade DEMA was a show where SCUBA retailers could view the next years products before placing orders.
It was a very efficent marketplace. Manufacturers/distributors would write 20% or more of their volume while at the show. Over time the show morphed into what it is now: travel, trinkets and training, parties and seminars and fam trips. "Booking" programs prior to DEMA became common

Companies such as SCUBAPRO were spending $500.000.00 or more to exhibit. I'm no accounting genius but,if you want to drop 10% net profit to your bottom line that means 50 million dollars worth of sales. At Apollo, with four exhibit spaces, plus the infamous drayage charges, internet costs, electrical union, plane fares, hotels, meals, etc. We were spending about $35,000-$40,000 to be at DEMA. I suspect that another show, limited to only true buyers and true equipment folks will emerge. The current DEMA may continue as a travel and training show. Just MHO.

cool_hardware52:
my personal favorite "drayage"

Hi, Tobin, I dropped by your booth but you were busy with a Buyer and I couldn't stick around.

Every exhibitors favorite is drayage, you can't carry anything in.

At least it wasn't as bad as Miami with all the pilferage...and how about requiring an electrician to plug anything in?

For international visitors like myself, it was over $1.5K just to attend, breaks down to about $1K in airfare, $500 for lodging/food, plus 2 weekends of missed diving during the best season. Think my business got $1.5K of benefit out of the show, not to mentions lost opportunity cost?

I have voiced my opinion to a few of the DEMA board members and know that there is a grassroots effort to get the show moved back to January/February timeslot. Uh oh, sounds like I am starting to rant...

Mar Scuba:
Hi, Tobin, I dropped by your booth but you were busy with a Buyer and I couldn't stick around.

I know it is a great expense for most to attend, exhibitors and attendees, and I do much appreciate the cost and effort made to be there.

Sorry I missed you. Glad to hear the show was worthwhile. Not in the winter next year, but it will be about a month later, in November, so at least the trend is in the right direction. If we can move it back a month each year we will be back where it belongs.

I know I was busy almost without any lulls for 4 days straight, and my informal poll of other exhibitors was much, much more positive that last year, hope Orlando next year is as productive.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom