DEMA 2010 Price increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize it was that easy to scam your way in to DEMA. I've been several times and I have always had to show proof that I was a scuba professional at registration before they would issue a badge. I have never seen the entrance to the show without a guard checking badges. I enjoy going but they priced me out of the show this year, it just isn't worth it. DEMA specials are all over the internet, you just don't get to touch and feel stuff. Admission should be very cheap or free. It is after all a marketing event, I don't think that I should have to pay to go shopping.

I will attend, go to the seminars I need to go to to stay current (VIP, regulator seminars, etc.), see friends in the industry, and bitch about how messed up DEMA and the dive industry in general is.

What about all the new people who have no idea what "happened?"

Last year we went as attendees and I enjoyed going to DEMA sponsored seminars. My only problem was that I couldn't get to as many as I would have liked.

Wookie, we're in booth 1101. Jump of the tram without injuring yourself and say hello :)

I didn't realize it was that easy to scam your way in to DEMA. I've been several times and I have always had to show proof that I was a scuba professional at registration before they would issue a badge. I have never seen the entrance to the show without a guard checking badges. I enjoy going but they priced me out of the show this year, it just isn't worth it. DEMA specials are all over the internet, you just don't get to touch and feel stuff. Admission should be very cheap or free. It is after all a marketing event, I don't think that I should have to pay to go shopping.

I saw the guy in line in front of me at registration get turned away at the last show in Vegas, said he owned a dive store and they wanted his tax ID numbers, invoices and such. He was mad, he didn't have them on his person and he thought a business card would do it. I walked up, showed my Instructor card and the woman said "thank you, that card's golden" apparently she'd had to turn away a few people the last few minutes.

I've been going 6 of the last 8 years and it's been getting progressively harder to get in every year in my thinking.

I saw the guy in line in front of me at registration get turned away at the last show in Vegas, said he owned a dive store and they wanted his tax ID numbers, invoices and such. He was mad, he didn't have them on his person and he thought a business card would do it. I walked up, showed my Instructor card and the woman said "thank you, that card's golden" apparently she'd had to turn away a few people the last few minutes.

I've been going 6 of the last 8 years and it's been getting progressively harder to get in every year in my thinking.

Owned a dive store and No Leadership rating? Hard to fathom. DEMA starts mid-week so he could've had the info faxed IF he was legit. I carry copies of what they want anyway. Opening new accounts, well the manuf/distributors want the same info. DEMA clearly states in all the registartion mtls mailed what it takes. FEIN is the main thing to have.

Anybody can have a business card made.

Yeah, as an international trade customer I have to pre-approve every year, even though I have attended dema for approx 20 years now on the trot.

My particulars have not changed since the first day we registered, but for some reason I still have to go through the pre-approval process every year.

Amongst other things I am usually asked for a supplier invoice of over a certain value, a copy of my business registration, proof of physical address, and, I cant remember but I think they also asked for a copy of my business card?...I'll check.

Look, as I said I dont mind if the public are allowed in on a certain day, I dont think it will make any differance, - as MDB has said they get in anyhow, so why not make it a controlled enviroment where everyone knows the public will be there that day and the exhibitors can react accordingly.?

Owned a dive store and No Leadership rating? Hard to fathom. DEMA starts mid-week so he could've had the info faxed IF he was legit. I carry copies of what they want anyway. Opening new accounts, well the manuf/distributors want the same info. DEMA clearly states in all the registartion mtls mailed what it takes. FEIN is the main thing to have.

Anybody can have a business card made.

I know, DEMA clearly states the requirements up front. I don't think as many people talk their ways in as someone's made it seem.

As far as dive store owners not having leadership ratings, I've known a few. I know a guy with the four dives for the OW class under his belt, few (if any) more, with a very successful dive shop.

Yeah, as an international trade customer I have to pre-approve every year, even though I have attended dema for approx 20 years now on the trot.

My particulars have not changed since the first day we registered, but for some reason I still have to go through the pre-approval process every year.

Amongst other things I am usually asked for a supplier invoice of over a certain value, a copy of my business registration, proof of physical address, and, I cant remember but I think they also asked for a copy of my business card?...I'll check.

Look, as I said I dont mind if the public are allowed in on a certain day, I dont think it will make any differance, - as MDB has said they get in anyhow, so why not make it a controlled enviroment where everyone knows the public will be there that day and the exhibitors can react accordingly.?

I agree - having 1 or 2 days where the general public is allowed would make sense. With the economy the way it is now, getting more people excited about diving cannot hurt and many of us see the extra traffic as a benefit and not an issue. Having a specified day for that over the weekend would be great.

I agree - having 1 or 2 days where the general public is allowed would make sense. With the economy the way it is now, getting more people excited about diving cannot hurt and many of us see the extra traffic as a benefit and not an issue. Having a specified day for that over the weekend would be great.

Oh sure, like I said earlier, anything that gets folk interested in scuba during this difficult economic time is good with me.

I know there was a poll about this some time ago and at the time, I think, there was a trend against it by exhibitors and trade visitors alike, but, I think scuba in general has taken a severe beating internationally during this economic downturn, and, from my chats with international suppliers, sales are down on average 40%, but up to 70% in some cases - that is extreme I agree, but shows the depth of the downturn, and, most say, with the winter months in the Northern hemisphere fast approaching, they dont expect any rush of orders right now.

So, yeah, if it gets people involved, I am all for it.!

Back
Top Bottom