DEMA Blacktip new version

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish Dive-Xtras handed the demo unit to someone that actually made concise videos, I shut the thing off within a minute. The Top Gear style videos are fine for the occasional review but not every video needs to be mostly B roll and superfluous narration.
Yea - I could not watch that video either. Just weird.
I listened to the video instead of watching it. I know what a BT looks like and how to operate it, just wanted to hear what had changed and what's new. It wasn't terrible that way.

I listened to the video instead of watching it. I know what a BT looks like and how to operate it, just wanted to hear what had changed and what's new. It wasn't terrible that way.
Lol.. I skimmed through it with the volume all the way down.. not a huge fan of anything that feels or looks like an infomercial. I just need the facts!

I'm ignorant to scooters.... how often are you changing settings? I would "think" you get it setup the way you want and then forget about it? Maybe I'm wrong?

Once I got the firmware that added cruise control, I tweaked settings once or twice over the next 3 or 4 dives, then haven't changed them since.

Plus, you have to open up the scooter to change batteries anyway. Once it's open, connecting a cable to allow me to change the settings is a few seconds. And, like I said, only done once or twice when I first got it.

So... yeah... I don't really see the Bluetooth thing being especially valuable. But, looking at the Dive-X website, it looks like the price for a BlackTip has stayed the same. And the site says the new BT-enabled scooter is now shipping.

Once I got the firmware that added cruise control, I tweaked settings once or twice over the next 3 or 4 dives, then haven't changed them since.
I can't figure out if they copied the slow speed migrate from the modified open source firmware. That's turned out to be the most useful feature.

No surprise Dive-X took so much offense modifying their open source firmware in our Blacktips, now Dive-X takes those new features and uses them for product upgrades. I think they shot themselves in the foot by not encouraging open source enhancements, since there are still a couple of really good upgrades that need to be implemented, but nobody wants to deal with the fallout from Dive-X

They're useing an open source controller and code. I'm pretty sure they're required to release the code.

They're useing an open source controller and code. I'm pretty sure they're required to release the code.
Yeah, but after their prior behavior, I don't think anyone wants to go through the hassle of making improvements. The open source Blacktip discussion was not treated well by Dive-X

They did exactly what any company would. You mess with the code, your warranty is void and we're not providing tech support.

They did exactly what any company would. You mess with the code, your warranty is void and we're not providing tech support.
Yes that is the way it works with many products, dive gear or otherwise and I cannot fault them for that.

Yes that is the way it works with many products, dive gear or otherwise and I cannot fault them for that.
Well.. I am thinking that they saw a want / need for aftermarket programming and figured they could offer it through their app? And prevent voiding the warranty? I don't know... just an outsider looking in.

Does that make sense or am I way off?

Because they have no control over 3rd party programming. But they can review there own programming and know it is good. OK, we will warranty what we have evaluated and know is good code that we put out.

I see no reason for any company to warranty anything that was modified with code that they have not evaluated and approved. Think diesel engines and aftermarket tuners. Not hard to make things "better" and destroy parts in the process. And you would want the engine maker to warranty something running outside the parameters that they have deemed safe?

Back
Top Bottom