DEMA Blacktip new version

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well.. I am thinking that they saw a want / need for aftermarket programming and figured they could offer it through their app? And prevent voiding the warranty? I don't know... just an outsider looking in.

Does that make sense or am I way off?

I haven't seen the app myself, but none of the available info indicates that you can use it to update the firmware. Only to change settings in the firmware that is already there.

That said, it does seem like they would have some way to use it to update firmware, for in case they come out with an udpated version of their own firmware they want people to load.

I haven't seen the app myself, but none of the available info indicates that you can use it to update the firmware. Only to change settings in the firmware that is already there.

That said, it does seem like they would have some way to use it to update firmware, for in case they come out with an udpated version of their own firmware they want people to load.
I would assume that the Bluetooth module and app connectivity would provide means to update it. Direct download via the app maybe? I'm find out next month when I get my tech.

Most features are sa same as this version https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/blacktip-firmware-modifications.609780/。

Bt feature suppose to buy the BT module like screenshot.
Depneds on new version mother board.
1701102090340.png

Once I got the firmware that added cruise control, I tweaked settings once or twice over the next 3 or 4 dives, then haven't changed them since.

Plus, you have to open up the scooter to change batteries anyway. Once it's open, connecting a cable to allow me to change the settings is a few seconds. And, like I said, only done once or twice when I first got it.

So... yeah... I don't really see the Bluetooth thing being especially valuable. But, looking at the Dive-X website, it looks like the price for a BlackTip has stayed the same. And the site says the new BT-enabled scooter is now shipping.
My model doesn't have a cable exposed, so I have to take the bottom plate off in order to plug a cable in. I'd pay extra for bluetooth.

I hope they release updated firmware for the existing models so that I don't have to flash with a 3rd party firmware.

I just bought mine 2 months ago, so I'm slightly annoyed :) I like the bluetooth option and that they are listening to the community for desired features. I haven't flashed mine yet.

I just bought mine 2 months ago, so I'm slightly annoyed :) I like the bluetooth option and that they are listening to the community for desired features. I haven't flashed mine yet.
Me too,,,bought one last month.
Previous MB V4.12 seems match BT module as screenshot
Current MB V6.7 should match BT module also.
It needs TX/RX/GND/5V, but both MB TX and RX are used for Display Monitor.
We can check the new version MB and connector design, suppose Vendor keep using V6.7 wiht new connector to implement BT connection feature.
1701161360505.png

1701162001528.png

Because they have no control over 3rd party programming. But they can review there own programming and know it is good. OK, we will warranty what we have evaluated and know is good code that we put out.

I see no reason for any company to warranty anything that was modified with code that they have not evaluated and approved. Think diesel engines and aftermarket tuners. Not hard to make things "better" and destroy parts in the process. And you would want the engine maker to warranty something running outside the parameters that they have deemed safe?
Actually, the whole point of open source is everyone can contribute new features and capabilities, as well as fix any bugs they find, then the original manufacturer CAN review the code, fix anything they don't like, and roll it into a manufacturer supported upgrade such that everyone benefits. The manufacturer in effect has a larger pool of developers, unpaid, and beta testers for the modified/enhanced firmware code. Dive-X publicly frowned on the open source enhancements, possibly reimplemented parts of it, and then take advantage of it by touting new features others (Benjamin) developed to their own benefit. They effectively disincentivized future open source BT firmware development for the product. Some of us have discussed another Blacktip firmware enhancement, but frankly, I would never waste my own time on any Dive-X firmware enhancements again

Open source firmware is very different from diesel engines and aftermarket turners, because Dive-X had 100% visibility into the modified source code and could verify if anything was outside the safe operating parameters.

Actually, the whole point of open source is everyone can contribute new features and capabilities, as well as fix any bugs they find, then the original manufacturer CAN review the code, fix anything they don't like, and roll it into a manufacturer supported upgrade such that everyone benefits. The manufacturer in effect has a larger pool of developers, unpaid, and beta testers for the modified/enhanced firmware code. Dive-X publicly frowned on the open source enhancements, possibly reimplemented parts of it, and then take advantage of it by touting new features others (Benjamin) developed to their own benefit. They effectively disincentivized future open source BT firmware development for the product. Some of us have discussed another Blacktip firmware enhancement, but frankly, I would never waste my own time on any Dive-X firmware enhancements again

Open source firmware is very different from diesel engines and aftermarket turners, because Dive-X had 100% visibility into the modified source code and could verify if anything was outside the safe operating parameters.

Just like they could easily make it work on the cuda, Sierra, magnus, uv18/26, and a pile of others, but flat out refuse to. I retaught myself c code and ham fisted my way through it to make it work in a few nights using notepad and powershell🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom