DEMA Seminar - How to Avoid Litigation from Scuba Intros and General Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't personally believe that getting rich off others misfortunes is anything to applaud. Its rather unfortunate that we have to even discuss legal issues and diving.

Judging by his cars, he is one of the few peeps to get rich off of Scuba Diving! More power to him! :D

If a family member or friend truly needed an expert advocate I would refer them to Mr. Lesser in spite of that extremely tacky advertisment. :)

Mr Lesser's advertising is likely intended to convey one thing and one thing only.....

"We win. And here is our "stuff" to prove it."

Remember, he is not trying to attract me and you with that ad. He is attempting to attract clients who feel they have been "wronged".

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

This reminds me of a story from about 30 years ago.

I was called for jury duty in state court in North Carolina. The case argued that a commercial contractor stole a central heating and air conditioning unit from an air conditioning supplier by presenting himself at the loading dock, having the suppliers employees load the unit into his truck, and proceeding away without paying.

This guy had hired a rather well-known bankruptcy lawyer from Tarboro, North Carolina in defense. This attorney appeared in court wearing a light green suit that appeared to have been stored in the laundry bag. His "dress" shirt had a gigantic stain on the collar visible from the jury box. His tie did not match any of the other absurd dress he had. To cap it off, he was wearing old style leather sandals and his deformed and brown toe-nails were clearly visible from the jury box. Of course, his hair and beard had not been clipped or combed in weeks. I thought "what kind of fool would hire a lawyer that comes to court dressed like this?" Instantly, my entire respect for this guys position was damaged, before even a word of defense was spoken.

Then came the lawyers cross-examination. It completely took these people apart with the most reasoned questions I have ever heard. One hour later, the jury voted 12-0 on a verdict of "not guilty".

So, it ain't how the lawyer looks in presentation and in advertising. It is how he/she performs for the clients.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Mr Lesser's advertising is likely intended to convey one thing and one thing only.....

Remember, he is not trying to attract me and you with that ad. He is attempting to attract clients who feel they have been "wronged".

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

It's still odd. Must be a California thing. South Florida is the plantiff capital of the USA and I have never seen any promotional peices approaching that level of gaudiness. I am going with he is recently divorced. If that's the case the Hawaiian shirt needs to go. :D

Would someone who has the means / contacts see if Mr Lesser will post his presentation somewhere so those of us unfortunates who cannot get there might learn something?

Would someone who has the means / contacts see if Mr Lesser will post his presentation somewhere so those of us unfortunates who cannot get there might learn something?

If that does not occur e-mail me a recording and I will have it transcibed...

Phil Ellis

Hi Phil,

That advertisement does convey exactly what you state. We win, we get YOU the $ (or we protect you from paying the $) AND we make enough on the deal that we have great cars. (BTW, Rick's Bentley is a working car not a pleasure mobile)

Cheers
JDS

If Rick allows it, I will record his presentation in HD, and post it on my website for all to see. If he allows it.

This reminds me of a story from about 30 years ago.So, it ain't how the lawyer looks in presentation and in advertising. It is how he/she performs for the clients.

Phil Ellis

I was at a deposition many years ago and Rick was representing us. He showed up, a little late, a little disheviled, no tie, wrinkled jacket, mismatched jacket/pants, tattered file folders ...... the opposition did not know what to make of it. Though I dont know how they did not do their research.

When we got to court, he showed up with full staff, pressed to the nines with the best experts around. 30 minutes later ........ find for the defense.

Cheers
JDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom