Demo or Problem Suggestions ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perpet1:
The only to really show pascal's principal is to build a pump into the cap which would add pressure to the surface of the water (vs. sealing the cap and squeezing the bottle)
But a cool demo either way.
Pete

Where would I be able to get a pump like that? Or how would you make one?
Neil

neil:
Where would I be able to get a pump like that? Or how would you make one?
Neil
You would have to make it but really it would not be hard. Just get a compression fitting and a tire valve then use a tire pump.

Uing the sea is a marvelous way to teach physics!
Speed of Light U/W is different. Develop this more fully.
I believe students learn from considering the applications of knowlege.

1. Consider the problem solving possibilities given the need to take good pictures u/w, or to operate robots based on your visual input and the actions of the probe. There is a learning curve, similar to laparoscopic surgery.
Perhaps you can take the above threads @ u/w optics a step further (roygbiv, etc). One needs to understand differences in perception and reality, and given the difference in environment, the does brain compensate; and then, which is more aesthetic? Show the same objects shot with different techniques: el cheapo camera and then with various lenses and/or strobes -- noting lenses which bring objects closer (less light needed for image) and stobes correct for loss of light/coloring. Focal depth, depth of field, angle of field, etc.

2. Electro-Magnetism: compass, and navigation. Communication methods: Cellular, VHF, shortwave, satellite; Lorans; Radar. Lorentz lines (? fish, schooling, novel shark repellants). Photoelectric/phosphescent deep sea creatures.

3. Orbital effects, Tides, Wind, Weather, (Corialis effect, N & S hemispheric differences). Lunar phase reproduction in reefs (maybe not). Thermoclines, water baricity, air vents & effects on the hydro- and atmospheres, eg. Bermuda Triangle.

4. Sound transmission in different media (air vs u/w, animal radar)

5. Then, stop beating around the bush.... Jump into Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Light is different u/w, and so is time. Whoa! Assign that for extra credit, although I hope since I went to college, that this is actually taught in intro to physics. Stephen Hawkins books are good, and to my memory, did not exemplify hydrological aspects of relativity, although it is not too hard to extend his cosmic ideas to u/w.

This stuff excites me, Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom