Denver and Colorado diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Blue Hole's not bad, does anyone know if you still have to go to the town center and get a permit..?

It's really out in the middle of nowhere, and after you've been there once or twice you're not going to feel like making the special trip to go back.

I couldn't even imagine diving there when it's crowded.

Done the Blue Hole not bad if it is not crowded most weekends it fills up with students..

Navajo lake the vis is usually decent in the mornings but it gets cold around 30-35 feet. Best to do it in the morning before the boats stir things up..Only done it in the summer.

Powell can be alot of fun if you get up lake(or down depending on launch point) the vis in some of the channels is good.I've done Powell in everything from just shorts to 7mm with hood..

Where exactly is "South Central Colorado?" Pagosa Springs?

Roak

This is actually the first reference I've seen to the grate (I live in East Texas and haven't made it out there yet :wink: ).

Does anyone know if there's much of a cave system underneath? If its been explored by any cave divers?

Just curious - cave diving fascinates me :)

jeff

joens once bubbled...
Its 87 feet deep about 60 feet across at the top gets wider at the bottom .There is a grate at the bottom to keep folks out of the cave .darn. If you want to go there sometime and no one wants to come along ,holler at me I will meet you there if I'm not working.
Joens

But this is mostly based on hearsay and a crude drawing that Stella has that’s an elevation on the cave system.

It’s definitely a vertical cave. As far as I can tell the grate is an upside down “L” shape, where the short part of the “L” is what you look through into the lower cavern and the long part goes down into the mud/gravel/rock on the ‘hole side of the opening.

The grate covers what appears to be at this time a no-mount restriction into the lower cavern. We’ve used a drop cam to look below it and it opens up, but it’s hard to get any references so all we could tell is that there’s some roots near the ceiling and a lot of dark below 'em.

Reports (as well as Stella's drawing) state that the cave opens up into another large room below the first restriction, and then there’s another restriction at the 210’ level, which opens up into yet another room. However, these reports are from divers that were narked out of their gourds, so who really knows.

The grate was put in place after a number of people drowned in the cave below. Not surprising given that everyone was doing air in those days.

Yhea, it’d be nice to be able to dive the lower chamber(s) with the correct mix.

Roak

Busted...

I live in Abq. Done the Blue Hole thing several times, but looking to do more lake diving. Probably up in your area. Unfortuantely in northern NM & southern CO, wet will be cool. I sail at Heron, near Chama. The dam is at a canyon, and is pretty much a shear wall. Late last summer, the water at that end of the lakea ctually looked fairly clear. Have thought about trying the area, but will require some further investigation/planning. Also started looking at the topo map to look for some high altitude natural lakes.

I know of one near Red River, but need a 4-wheeler to get there. Pretty high, too. There's also a group that does Ice diving in Twin Lakes up by Leadville. Don't know what it's like in the summer. Still not at all warm though.

There's also some other reservoisr over north of Pagosa that may be good in the fall after runoff. Just starting to get more into cold water diving.

Keep us posted if youfind something different

Hi All,

Been based in Denver for a few months now and have developed a craving for some diving goodness. Does anyone know of any good water holes or dive charters in the area? Muchly appreciated.

Merkiwi

I know there are a couple people from the Springs on here, and would like to see what their thoughts are -- is there any decent diving around (I'm thinking Turquoise or Dillon or one of the other mountain lakes)... or is it your typical no-viz, save your pennies for a real trip kind of diving?

Back
Top Bottom