Departure Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you purchased your ticket a VERY long time ago, the departure tax is included in your ticket. Look at the fees listed on your fare receipt.

Our tickets were also with United. Unfortunately, the person you spoke with does not know what they are talking about. We just returned and there was NO departure tax to pay :D

That TA discussion about the D1 & D2 exit fees which should show up on your receipt? The TA audience knows lots to about the rules and regulations of airport goofiness. I'd believe what TA posters wrote about that, the best Jungle Canopy Tour, the best bar, the best place to rent beach chairs, the best scooter rental agency, the best Monkey Lala.

They dont know know much about SCUBA diving, but they got the exit fee stuff all worked out. That and Duty Free.

Many thanks. That's what I thought. Since you fly United, are you aware of their policy of up to 70 pounds if it is ONLY SCUBA EQUIPMENT. Their site is ambiguous, but I have a letter verifying the policy.

As far as I know, only the first class or highest-level frequent flyer members are entitled to 70 lbs. For everyone else it's 50. I DO know that for international flights, your first checked bag is free...

Send me your email in a pm and I will send you the letter.

I don't believe that most folks own 45, much less 70 pounds of SCUBA equipment. The 70# thing is a holdover reference from ancient history. Airlines were trying to accommodate the popular sports, some of which were diving, skiing, golf and surfing.

The people that formulated the industry rules knew not much about diving, nor the realities of dive travel. The rules have never evolved with current realities. They wanted to make sure divers would fly the new airline routes to "the islands", so they figured out that a diver's gear must include fins, mask, "a single" regulator, speargun, plus a 72 cf tank and 12# of lead weight. Voila, 70#.

There are some new airline regs specifically about "tanks", but those fall under a seperate heading from "sports equipment". They have to be shipped "open" which means nipple removed and not even tape over the hole.

Sometimes.

If you do this, you should also likely note that any such tank is, by industry standard, to be professionally re-inspected and cleaned if necessary before reassembly and use.:rofl3:

Some people actually ship their "soft weights" in their luggage. These are made with #7 lead shot as used in bird hunting, wrapped in a ballistic nylon pouch.:eyes:In that this contains what is precisely a prohibited item, "ammunition or components", it is also a theoretical felony.

So there's that.

So, if you're going to stamp your feet and demand a full 70 pounds of baggage, you might get ready for some very sharp manager who fully understands the context and wording of the rules. If it isn't on their list of what constitutes SCUBA equipment as they define it, good luck on that one. Canister dive lights, extra standard alkaline dive light batteries, and underwater cameras have been disallowed previously.

If you really feel mean and want to get into a memorable fight, bring a rebreather along. Pack a lunch while you're at it.

IT DOES NOT MEAN that you can have a 70# bag if it also has "some dive related gear" combined inside it along with your 6 pairs of high heels, etc, etc.

It's all about getting you to buy that second 50# bag, this is the end-game standardized goal to which the front line airline personnel have been trained to.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We are Borg.

Unless you are currently what passes for royalty in the USA, that is, you have "points", then you can do anything short of playing bocce ball in the aisles. Stewardii are still off limits.

Last edited:
Been to rtb many times and never had problems with the 50 pound limit. I did however buy a light weight dive bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the letter from United that states the limits for Scuba GEar. We put 2 sets of gear in one bag (2 wetsuits each) and the bag usually weighs 62-65 pounds. We are usually gone a month.

Subject: Re: Baggage (KMM19393682V93126L0KM)

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

Allow me to give you the link to united.com where it talks about scuba bags as checked baggage.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/co...ports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#ScubaEquipment
Scroll down and click on scuba equipment.

Basically, it states that there is no weight limit as long as the bag contains "only" scuba equipment. If anything else as added to the bag then the maximum weight limit is 50 lbs.

Dive tanks or rebreather tanks have a separate charge and is noted in the website information.

Be sure to look at that link. There is a lot of additional information you will probably want to know.

Not long ago United changed its baggage policy to Mexico. The first checked bag is now $25 and a second bag is $40. The scuba bag would be your first or second bag, etc. Any tanks are charged a flat fee as noted on united.com.

You can be assured that this is the correct information.

Please know that we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards,

Steven Henry
United Airlines

Last edited:
Many thanks. That's what I thought. Since you fly United, are you aware of their policy of up to 70 pounds if it is ONLY SCUBA EQUIPMENT. Their site is ambiguous, but I have a letter verifying the policy.

Carry a copy with you as not all agents know the "scuba equipment" rule. They have tried to charge me a few times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom